Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Changing Gas Tank

By Stealth87, June 4, 2014

Hey everyone. My 93 Corolla wagon leaks fuel when I fill it all the way up. Basically when the pump stops on its own the back side of the tank drips fuel all the way across the back side of it. Just wondering if this sounds like a whole tank being bad, or just the filler neck (Or where the neck connects to the tank. Anyone have any ideas? Also, does anyone have any advice for changing the tank? Since its a 21 year old vehicle I am sure the tank would be difficult to get out and replaced from rust. Just looking for any direction or experiences anyone might have.

Other than that, replaced the radiator and thermostat. Also put new tires on her. Running like an absolute champ other than the gas tank issue. Very happy with my first Corolla!

will have to get it up in the air and look where the leak is. you be able to tell where it is coming from and start from there.

It was pretty common for the fuel vent to be clogged (causing fuel to splash out) and the filler neck itself to rot out and leak. As mentioned, have to lift it up and have a look. Depending on what you find, may be able to salvage what you have and not have to replace the whole tank. If you are really lucky, may be able to fix it without dropping the tank.

Topic List