Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Spark Plug Socket Question

by Bull6791, May 27, 2014

The socket for spark plugs is 5/8. My question is it a deep well socket because I have 2 spark plug sockets and the spark plugs do not fit in socket.

Seems like socket is not deep/long enough.

What spark plug socket should I buy.

Any help would be great.

Frank

Which spark plug make and number did you get, exactly, and which Toyota model and year did you get them for?

A standard 2-1/2" long, 5/8" (16mm) spark plug socket fits 2005 Corolla 1ZZ-FE spark plugs perfectly. Are you sure what you have is a spark plug socket? You're not trying to fit socket on spark plug's threaded end?

The 2 spark plug sockets I have with the black rubber washer in them I measured them. They both measure less than 2-1/2". That is probably why the plugs do not fit in these sockets.

Frank.

I'm with dom - you should not have had any issues with those spark plug sockets on the 1ZZ-FE. All spark plug sockets are deep well, by design. Could be the rubber insert is too stiff, might make it feel like it is not fitting over the plugs.

Assuming you already have new plugs - take one of the plugs and push it into the spark plug socket you have - see if it has any clearance issues.

It is possible that the nose of the socket extension has projected too far into the socket - causing it to bump against the top of the plug. Also possible that the top of the plug (terminator nut) - has backed off and causing a clearance issue. That case - you'll have to be a little more creative to get that plug out.

Fish

The issue is the spark plug sockets are not long enough. They measure less than 2-1/2. That is why they do not work.

Frank.

Did those come in a set? Or did you have to buy them separately? That is pretty weird, those are pretty standardized for the most part. I think mine were on the short side, about 2.25" overall (Husky brand), Craftsman, Proto, Allen, and old MAC sockets were not much longer. NGK/Denso plugs are generally about 5cm from the seat to the top of the plug ~ 1.9" - so those sparkplug sockets were just barely long enough.

I'd double check that the plug really is too long for the socket - test it with the new plugs. Then double check that there is nothing inside the spark plug tube. Somethings that rubber tip on the coil on plug igniter can come loose and lodge inside the tube.

Corrosion or physical obstructions are other possibilities - I've run into this a couple of times on other applications. Worked on a small block Chevy - 7 plugs came out no problem, last plug couldn't get grabbed by the socket.

Possible that you got a weird setup of sparkplug socket - maybe they took a regular thin wall, deep socket and turned it into a sparkplug socket. As far I remember, all my sparkplug sockets have the insert (rubber or magnetic) and were engraved or otherwise marked as for sparkplugs exclusively.

Fish

I have the iridium IX plugs for my 05 corolla. I have a gear wrench magnetic spark plug socket. It measures 2-1/2". The plug fits in it great.

I also have a duralast spark plug socket. It has the rubber washer in it. It measures a little less than 2-1/2 and the spark plug does not fit all the way in the socket.

Unless I do not know how to put spark plug into socket with rubber washer because I never used it before.

But the magnetic spark plug socket that measures 2-1/2 the spark plug fits all the way in perfect.

Is husky and craftsman and proto better brands or do I need a 2-1/2 socket in length.

Frank

Proto would be hard to find and very expensive - I got mine used / part of a set, if I bought it new, be over $200 retail. Husky and Craftsman make entry level to mid-tier tools - pretty much perfect for the majority of the DIYers out there. The Husky and Craftsman use the rubber grommet to hold the plug - plug fits snugly in those sockets. They look pretty much the same. I don't remember off the top of my head, but one of them didn't cover the entire length of the plug (from the seat to the tip) - just got enough to engage the hex seat on the plug.

Might try lubricating the grommet with just a tough of silicone (not too much or it won't hold onto the plug). They should have been prelubricated - should have some white-ish deposits on there.

That Duralast one - is that the 6-point or 12-point socket? 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive? I know one of those is pretty short - didn't even look like a spark plug socket. New ones have a colored band on them - different colors for SAE and Metric. But their quality is so spotty - you could have a 5/8" socket that is too tight or is poorly machined. Might not even be cast correctly to being with. It happens from time to time - just have to chalk that up to bad QC.

Sounds like you got one to use - so just return the other one, if you can, and use the magnetic socket one.

Fish

The Duralast spark plug socket is 5/8. 1/2" drive and it is 6 point socket. Number on socket is 75-510. It has rubber grommet in it.

What is a spark plug socket supposed to look like. I never used one before.

I know it is not a regular socket with a rubber grommet shoved in.

Frank

I'm thinking that rubber grommet might have wiggled out of place and preventing the plug from fully seating into the socket. Also, according to the specs, that 1/2" drive looks to shorter of the two sockets. I would have gone with a 3/8" drive - 1/2" is way overkill for this application. Get the one that dom linked in his post - don't really need anything fancier than that socket.

I never used one before question: when you first buy a spark plug socket with rubber insert will the rubber be stiff until you use it a few times. Meaning the plug is hard to get into the rubber.

Also is the rubber insert supposed to be glued into the socket. The sockets i have when you try to get plugs out of rubber rubber insert comes out of socket

Should I glue rubber into socket.

Thanks.

I've never had to resort to glue on my plug sockets. The rubber plug is usually friction fit into the socket - haven't seen any glued in any of my plug sockets. Its only purpose is to hold onto the plug as lift / lower it from the plug well.

Sometimes with a brand new plug socket, while pulling the plug from the socket - the rubber insert will pop out. Happens to all of us eventually. You can help reduce that chance with a little lubricant on the rubber insert. Easiest way is to put a little dielectric on the old plug, shove it in and out of the socket to help spread it around a bit.

No lube on mine, if you've done enough spark plug changes, that rubber bit will eventually start to wear out a bit - won't hold as tightly as before and you won't see that insert pop out like that.

Fish

Thanks. That's what I did not know. The fist couple of times I use socket to take old plugs out and put new plugs in it will be hard to get plugs to bite into the rubber because it is new.

I have to let the rubber get broken in from use per say.

Also I did not know the rubber insert just sits in socket by gravity and could come out.

Topic List