Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Trans Fluid Change Question

by Bull6791, April 25, 2014

Fish

On my 07 Camry I had fluid drained and refilled at 30k. I am at 85k now. I was going to change trans fluid again at 90k. I your opinion would you drain and refill only or drain and refill with pan drop and filter change.

What way would you go. Then from that point out like you do I will drain and refill every 30k and drop pan and change filter every 60k.

Any help would be great

Thanks Frank

Did you happen to remember how the fluid looked at the 30K mark? At the 90K mark - I'd start with a drain and refill - if the fluid looks heavily oxidized or feels "gritty" - then drop the pan and change the filter. If the fluid looks good - then drain and refill should be just fine. Do the pan drop the next time.

Fish

I never saw the fluid at 30k because the dealer changed fluid. Now when you drop pan always Change gasket. What holds gasket on. Also from what I have heard the filter on 07 Camry is felt but I do not know if it is true.

Since I never took a trans pan off before can the magnets go any where or they go in a certain sport.

Thanks for answering my questions

Frank

Gasket - don't need anything on the gasket. Make sure the mating material is clean and dry - no need to silicone or RTV. Some people still want to put it on, but that flange is very thin - be way too easy to accidentally get RTV or other sealant pushed into the transaxle - then you'll have a bigger problem on your hands. On some gaskets - there are holes in the corner that are slightly smaller in diameter than the others. This is so you can thread screws through those smaller holes to help hold the gasket to the pan and get them started on the bottom of the transaxle.

When tightening the bolts on the bottom of the pan - tighten them in stages, evenly tighten them, so as to not distort the pan flange and make sure the gasket is not pinched or damaged. Inspect the bolts, might have thread-locking compound on them from the factory (looks like red or blue colored paint on the threads). If there are present - you have to add thread-lock before reassembling the pan.

Filter - should be three screws (just note their positions, as the screws are of different lengths) - there is usually a paper or cork gasket that seals the filter to the pump assembly.

I've seen replacement filters that have a metal screen, fiberous mat, and some that were like of felt or foam materials. OEM can be any one of those, depending on where the car was manufactured.

Magnets should not have moved from their original position - just replace them where you found them. But there are very visible raised portions on the bottom that outline where the magnets go. Once you clean the bottom of the pan, you should be able to find them very easily.

Fish

Thanks again. I am going to use TOYOTA WS FLUID. I will do a drain and refill like you said and if fluid is dirty or oxidized I will drop the pan.

I will get a pan gasket and a filter from dealership to have on Hand. Do you have a website or place where you get part # from. Would you be able to give me part # for gasket and filter for 07 Camry trans pan and filter.

Thanks again for pointers

frank

Dealership can pull the part number from your VIN #. Websites, you'll have to know the transaxle you have - ie, number of bolt holes, pan shape, etc. - as their stock numbers might not match your transaxle.

Fish

As always thanks again. I appreciate it

Thanks Frank

Topic List