Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Automatic Window Odd Noise

By jjvsd, April 24, 2014

I have a 2001 Corolla S and yesterday for the first time when I rolled my automatic window down it went down just fine. But when I went to roll it up the noise first caught my attention as well as the speed of it seemed a bit slower then normal. It's not really a grinding noise and hard to describe. Sounds like the motor is having to work extra hard. Almost a binding sound. Also when it rolls up it does not stop at all like I've seen other people have happen. It is just slower and makes an odd sound. Reading and searching other posts I suspect its the window regulator as it goes down just fine with normal operation and sound or the motor dying but I have no clue.

Suggestions?

Could be as simple as adding some extra grease to the window regulator. Have to pull the inside door panel off to access the regulator, Pretty simple - remove door handle (don't break the control arm clip), remove switch panel and armrest, pop the cliips around door liner and pop it out and up to remove. Just have to peel back the plastic shield, if you are really careful - it can be reattached without much issue. Might have to unbolt an access panel for more clearance to the regulator - can also remove the speaker for more room - but some 8th gen Corolla speaker mounts were riveted on, have to drill them out and reattach later (new rivets or use sheet metal screws).

Also couldn't hurt to check those window regulator bolts, the part that holds the window to the regulator - if those screws back out, they can cause the window to get cocked in the window channel and bind on you.

Double check that the window welt (part that touches the window) has not excessively deteriorated. Same with the window welt that goes around the window - make sure it hasn't become sticky from the material breaking down.

Topic List