Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Bull6791, April 24, 2014

Fish

Sorry I have a question. For my 05 corolla the standard oil filter part # is: 90915-YZZF2

Now I am looking for the Japan version of that filter part #. I have 150-1000 but this is not correct. Do you know the japan part #.

also what do you think would be a good price for these filters. The Japan version.

I heard the denso filter was a poor design because no end caps and rubber adbv valve.

Thanks Frank

Those are tough to find (they stopped making them), if you find them they are usually pretty expensive - not worth it. 90915-20004 is the part number to cross reference to - might be able to find these at other dealerships. The V6 in the old Ford Taurus SHO - took a 90915-20004 filter, as the motor was designed my Yamaha. Lots of motorcycles and even lawn mowers take the 90915-20004 or equivalent filter.

Cheapest I found them were $15 each - Club Lexus had a group buy for these two years ago, before they stopped production at $9 each. Still too rich for my blood, if they were 1/2 that price and easier to find, maybe I'd pick them up and use them exclusively. I would just stick with the YZZF2 standard height or jump to the YZZF1 "tall" variant (same base diameter, 1/2" taller body) and be done with it. These current OEM filters are still pretty decent.

As for "cheap" Denso having a poor design compared to the Japanese Denso part? Sure the end caps look quite a bit different and the anti-drain back valve is rubber or nitrile instead of a high performance silicone. But with our straight down oil filter orientation - the ADBV material does not matter much (filter will always hold oil, it won't drain out). The end cap design is a non-issue unless you subject the car to an excessive amount of oil pressure. Like racing the engine to redline, from a cold start, in -30 degree weather - where oil flows like molasses, but that case the oil filter will burst the can before it peels back the end cap, so the fancy filter won't help either. For any other time, this is a non-issue. They key is filtration without oil restriction, and properly bypassing oil when needed to prevent damage.

Fish

Thanks again. I was just curious did you ever use toyota oil and did you like it

Frank

As far as Toyota OEM fluids - mainly just power steering fluid (ATF minus the dye) and long life coolants.

As far as their motor oil - nope, never used them (aside from free oil changes early on). Their motor oil is repackaged by Castrol, Mobil or Nippon/Eneos - conventional motor oil is largely Castrol GTX or Mobil, their synthetic is Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, or the Nippon/Eneos oil. All are great oils but they have almost a 2x markup on price. Last time I checked - their synthetic 0w-20 was over $12 a quart. I can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-20 at Walmart for around $23 on sale - that works out to be less than $5 a quart.

Fish

I have a question the standard oil filter for the 07 Camry 4 cylinder is 90915-yzzf1 and it will also fit my 05 corolla. This is the tall filter you use.

My question is: will the V6 07 Camry oil filter work on both cars. It think it is part # 90915-yzzd1.

I was thinking of using the 07 Camry 6 cylinder oil filter on both cars if it fits. The 05 corolla also.

Also where do you get toy 640 oil filter wrench. I called auto parts stores and they do not carry it. The assenmacker one.

Frank

Some people have used the larger 90915-YZZD1 filter from a V6 Camry on their 4 cylinder cars without issues, some have not been able to utilize those filters. All depends on the mounting pad for the filter on the target car. If the pad is overly corroded, has lots of surface damage, or too small - cannot use the larger filter. You'll have to look at the mounting pad and see what it looks like - if you are unsure, you could always spin on the larger filter and monitor the engine closely for leaks, etc.

This was the case in my cars - the pad was too corroded (salt damaged) to use the larger filter without any leaks. I could have resurfaced those pads, but the time and energy to do so was more than any filtering benefit I could pickup for my particular usage levels. So I just used the "tall" filters - the 90915-YZZF1. With periodic UOA testing - the insoluables were well within a safe level. So the tall filters were good enough for me.

All depends on the car - some need more filtration than others - depends on the engine health, driving conditions, and how it was driven. Ex. My old 1996 Camry - I coudl run a 5K conventional oil change on the smaller filter (90915-YZZF2) and have UOA that look like my 10K oil change on synthetic on the Corolla. That Camry's engine worn down just perfectly - that's why it has almost 400K miles on the original engine, consumes about 1/2 quart over the 5K interval. In contrast - my company 2003 Tundra truck with 90K miles couldn't hold past a 5K oil change (synthetic - Pennsoil Platinum) without spiking some key wear metals and insoluables. Trying to extend its oil change interval would be foolish, as the truck really hammers the oil. That and the number of different drivers involved - that truck sees a lot of abuse.

The TOY640 wrench - you'll have to order that tool. Can be ordered from the dealership or any number of online retailers. I think I got mine on Amazon - just searched for one that had the best price and in stock.

Fish

What filters does toyo 640 oil filter wrench fit. 07 Camry and 05 corolla.

I have a rite fit wrench and it is two sizes 64 65 or 67. It's two of these sizes can't remember. I think it would work. Never tryed it.

Frank

That tools fits any Toyota product that needs a 64mm diameter, 14 flutes oil filter wrench. The 90915-YZZF1 and 90915-YZZF2 for sure, on the V6 Camry, only with the cartridge type filters (late 2007 - 2012) - will not work on the 90915-YZZD1 spin on filter (that one is 75 mm and 14 flutes).

Most of the oil cap type tool on the market are universal - hence their 64/65/67mm fitment. Works OK if the filter isn't on really tight, but if the filter is stuck or if you have a cartridge type filter - be near impossible to remove the filter / filter cup with a stamped universal oil filter wrench. That's where the the TOY 640 comes in.

Topic List