Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rhino Car Ramps

by Bull6791, April 10, 2014

Fish

I went to Rhino's web sit and they have to different ramps I think the lower model will work fine for my car. I think it's the 8000 series.

I never used them before. Are they just for oil changes are can you change trans fluid coolant fluid and brakes with them or you need jack stands.

My drive way is blacktop and it slops down to the street so that where I would use them.

On my next oil change with the corolla I want to switch to synthetic never used it before. I want to try either Mobil or Pennzoil. I just do not know what filter.

Now with the 07 Camry since it burns oil maybe I should keep it at conventional. I have been running 5w-20. Should I move to 5w-30.

Any help would be great.

Frank

The 8000 lb gross one should be fine - each ramp can hold up to 2000lbs.

Any maintenance work that could be done with the wheels still on the car are what they are used for. Oil and oil filter, transaxle drain, transaxle filter, coolant, getting at the O2 sensor, parts of the undercarriage, inspecting the suspension, steering, etc.

For brake work - you'll need to use a floor jack or similar - as you'll need to take the wheels off.

Ideally, you want these ramps to be on a level surface. Otherwise, it would be too easy to drive over them (downhill) or push them around without being able to run up them (uphill). Blacktop surface is great though, helps bite into the rubber foot to keep the ramp from shooting away from the car.

Changing to synthetic should be no issue - quality of conventional oil is pretty good, no fluid incompatibilities like they had before. On the Camry, you can move up to a little heavier weight - 5w-30 would run just fine. Just note you might see a decrease in MPG with some oil.

Fish

Just for curiosity I was wondering what ramps you have. I was looking on the Rhino website and I might get the 8000 ramp. I never used ramps before. Unless you know a better ramp. That is the ramp I am leaning towards. I do not know how good this Rhino ramp is.

Thanks Frank

Mine are the Rhino Ramps 12000, think these are from the Hudson corporation, but I don't remember off the top of my head. Blitz also makes Rhino ramps - same look, same model.

On my lowered Corolla - that shallow 17 degree incline works perfectly. Works great on asphalt, doesn't get kicked around - but on something smoother - might be a bit more challenging. Have yet to try them out inside a garage, I've always done it outside. Just refinished the floors with an epoxy + texturizer - not sure how it will work. Worst case, the car will just push them around, without driving up the ramps.

It helps to lay the ramps infront of each wheel - then sort of wedge them under the tires. Make sure the steering wheel is straight, and that the wheels will ride over the center of the ramp. Drive slowly up the ramp, steady speed as possible. Don't try to modulate the throttle too much - don't want to drive up, then roll backwards - that will just increase the chance that the ramps will literally "shoot out" from under the car. Can try left foot braking - help keep it from backing down the ramp. As you near the top, left off the accelerator slightly, should already have the brake covered, once you crest the "ridge" of the ramp, let off the gas and the car will automatically settle into the landing/pocket at the top of the ramp.

Fish

Thanks for the info. I really does not matter but I did not know two companies made the rhino ramps. I found the ramp buy the other company called Hopskin manufacturing company. Like you said the blitz is the same thing so it does not matter which one I get.

Frank

Fish

I heard that because of the incline of the ramps when changing oil the oil runs to back of pan and you can not get it out. Is it true.

Frank.

On some cars - this may be true, be we are talking an insignificant amount of leftover oil, couple of ounces max. Some cars, the drain plug may not even be the lowest opening in the sump pan. On some thinig like the 1ZZ-FE engines - the drain plug is so low on the sump, even a slight incline would not be an issue.

build your own ramps with two by sixes. stack different lengths to achieve a slope, making sure they are screwed together of course

I use rhino ramps, but because I do not have access to a lift, I usually ramp the front end and then jack the back and put stands under it. That way I can get exhaust access and fuel/brake line access on a creeper. Works well. The ramps are sturdy enough.

Topic List