Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Transmission Noise

By autotech2612, March 15, 2014

My '02 Corolla manual transmission with 228,000 miles developed an internal transmission noise this evening.

It is not a howling or a somewhat-bearing related noise, but kind of like a rough-growling-like noise when in any gear. It's more pronounced when I'm driving in the city and shift into fourth at 25mph.

When my foot pushes down the clutch pedal, the noise disappears, which is why I am fairly certain it's internal.

Any ideas on what may be the culprit?

Have you noticed the noise in neutral? Try idling the car in neutral, parking brake set, clutch out (pedal not depressed) and see if it still makes that grinding/grumbling sound. If it does, then there is a chance it is internal. If not, then it could be a number of things.

Could be as simple as the oil level is too low. Could be the oil used loosened some gunk/deposits that is causing excessive noise, one of the bearings starved for oils, even broken tooth on a gear(s)? Hard to say without further diagnosis. The transaxle in neutral adds one more data point - already have one with the clutch in.

Does not do it when the car is in neutral.

I will check fluid tomorrow and report back. Thanks for your help, Fish.

Update:

I removed the splash guard to gain access to the fill hole. The transmission was 1/2 quart low. It's been like this for 5.5 months, but I didn't start hearing a low growling-type sound until March 11, 2014.

Being 1/2 quart low for that period of time, did this accelerate any internal wear?

It was the shop owner, not me, who failed to fill it fully after he replaced the clutch in mid-late October 2013. He failed to replace the output shaft seals on the driveaxles and fluid leaked on my driveway (quite a bit). Instead of driving it a few minutes to his shop, I had it towed there.

He replaced the seals and stated "it'll be fine, not much leaked out". He did have a bottle of Redline MT-90 on hand I told him to order and he gave it to me at that time at no charge.

Is it quieter now? I would expect the damage to be done, likely the tranny's output bearing.

It is not quieter, still the same. So you think the noise is attributed to being 1/2 quart low? Being that low can cause damage?

So, what's my recourse with this shop?

It's not my fault, so I'm revisiting the shop to ask him to rebuild it or whatever. Been going to this guy for awhile and I'm pretty sure he'll make it right. I'm meeting with him later today. I'll provide an update.

Fish: It does not make the noise when parking brake is engaged, engine is idling and push is not depressing the clutch pedal.

He could not know how much leaked out, which you better saw for yourself: "..."fluid leaked on my driveway (quite a bit)".

His seals replacement was done as it should, and he can't be held accountable after you expressed concern about your own oil level and left with a bottle in hand to top it off. The axle seals don't usually need to be replaced, but he did after they were found to be leaking.

Then again, the axle seals can't be replaced without draining or losing some tranny fluid. He would have to fill it back up.

Will be installing a used transmission in the next three weeks. I've decided to keep the car, I like it too much. I'm still convinced the oil being 1/2 quart low is the contributing factor to the transmission problem. The mechanic did not admit it is his fault, but stated twice that if a car is 1/2 quart low on gear oil, it won't hurt anything.

Do any of you agree with his statement?

Topic List