Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By markcorolla, January 3, 2005

Tire dealer said that for a '05 Corolla LE, the Michelin Hydroedge will not work - they have the wrong handling rating, or something to that effect. What's the real story? Will the Hydroedges work? Thanks!

The Hydroedges are an excellent replacement tire for the Corolla. You shouldn't have any issues with it.

Never heard of a tire "handling rating" problem on a Corolla - as the OEM tires are about as plain as you can get. If you were talking about a specialized tire (winter tire, summer performance, etc) - then you have to be a bit more careful. But with All-Season tires - not a problem.

The only ratings on a tire are UTQG (treadwear, traction, and temperature grades) and service description (load index and speed rating). You can use any tire as long as the tire is same size as the OEM tire or follows the PLUS concept with upgraded wheels.

SPECS:

The Goodyear Integrity OEM tires have a UTQG of 460AB, service description (load index of 89, S speed rated = 112mph max).

The Michelin Hydroedge tires have a UTQG of 760AB service description (load index of 89, T speed rated-118mph max).

Hydroedge is a tire that has the same major characteristics of the OEM tire - with exceptions of longer treadlife and slighly higher speed rating.

Both are available for your vehicle in OEM sizes - probably dealer wants you to buy something that they stock or get a fatter profit margin from.

Good Luck.

Mr. Ed

I replaced the original tires on my '04 with Hydroedge about 3 weeks ago. Everything is better with these tires. I feel it is MUCH safer now. I agree that the dealer probably just wants to make you a sale.

Guest Corollasroyce

The hydroedge is an all season tire?? sorry just making sure ....thinking about getting some come spring, whats the tread-life on them?

Mr. Ed

Hey Corollasroyce, they are rated at 90,000 miles. I guess they are all-season. They are excellent for dry or rainy times. The Integrity tires made me feel like I was in real danger on water. With these Hydroedge, rain-covered roads feel like they are dry. It's an amazing difference. However, since this is a weird winter here in Western PA, I've only had 2 times with snow and had no problem.

Guest Corollasroyce

excellent, i'll look into those default_cool

I have Michelin Arctic (?), winter tires in the back, next to new, excellent tread i got them for $35 CAD apiece from a scrap guy. I have four seasons in the front.

My front tires were worn out (failed inspection) so I rotated them to the back, at least for increased safety. When I replaced them for my reinspection, I put winters, and neglected to rotate them to the front (my 97 Rolla is FWD) where I believe they'd be used to maximum advantage (even though they'd wear out quicker).

Does anyone know if I should rotate the Michelin Arctics to the front? BTW, they're great tires.

When I had my 86 Toyota Van LE in the late 80s early 90s, I had Pirellis and the odd Dunlop tire on it. The Pirellis were the best I ever had, I'm not sure how much they go for nowadays.

Lightly used Michelin Arctic snow/ice tire for $35 CAD - that is an excellent price, can't beat that.

A single axle set if snow tires are kind of tricky to place. Because their traction is so much better than plain All-Seasons (especially on ice and loose snow) - it is better to use them on all wheels. If you have only an axle set - and another good set of all-seasons - I'd swap them to the front for better traction to the driven wheels. Better lower speed predictability and handling.

Good Luck.

Thanks, Fish. I'll likely get myself another pair of winter tires (hopefully at a similar price as the others). If not, I'll rotate the Michelins to the front (driving wheels).

Cheers.

I am using Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on my '03 Corolla LE, and they are nothing short of fantastic! I've used them in deep snow, ice, rain, and dry roads, and the difference between them and the POS Firestone FR690 OEM's is night and day! Michelin Artic Alpins would be great Winter tires, but probably not so for non-Winter driving conditions. The TripleTreds are a true All-Season tire, with maximum performance ratings for ALL driving conditions! Moreover, I have not noticed any reduction of fuel economy. If anything, my city mileage has seemed to go up a MPG or two, and I do 99% city driving of the worst kind -- short trips, stop/go every quarter mile or so, etc. If you can afford them, I'd consider the Goodyear TripleTreds!

Guest Corollasroyce

Hey larry what are those triple treds rated for mileage?? Im looking for a LONG lasting all season tire, price doesn't really matter as they need to be replaced anyway, you got firestone OEM tires on your car?? mine came with goodyear integritys, their monkey crap as well...

I've had a LOT more experience with my new Hydroedges in rainy driving out here in (formerly) sunny Southern California. They are awesome! Driving at freeway speeds through puddles results in zero hydroplaning. They grip the road as though it were dry pavement. Wet roads are just not an issue. It's like driving a different car. I look forward to driving in the rain.

They were not cheap but I am so glad I decided not to risk my neck to save a few bucks. I ended up just tossing the virtually new OEM Integrities -- what a waste. Oh well, I'm looking forward to 90,000 safer miles and not looking back. I know I must sound like a shill for Michelin, but I have no relationship to the company other than that of ecstatic customer. I'm going to give my wife some Hydroedges next.

I vaguely remember there was some glitch on one web site that made the Hydroedge not appear as an available fit for the '05 Corolla. But they are made in a size that fits just fine.

Mr. Ed

Hey Rolla, I agree with you. On wet roads (or dry) they stick like glue. On the little snow wwe have gotten this winter - the same has been true. It looks like we got some snow during tthe night. It's about 2:45 a.m. I'll be leaving for work soon. Let's see if these tires are as good as I think they are...

Ti-Jean

Rolla,

Did you go up to the LE /S size? 195/65-15, or stayed with 185/65-15?

When I replace my Integrity's, I will probably go to 195/65-15. Might improve comfort, handling and look somewhat.

Gearing being the same on all 3 models, my overall wheel diameter will go up by 2.1%. Souldn't be an issue, if the other models come stock with 195's.

Mr. Ed

Well, we did have snow. When I went out go to work, I had to clean about half an inch off my windshield. Nothing on the road however. This must be a record year here in Western PA. At this point, we MAY have had 3" of snow total for the winter. I'm not complaining!!! It usually would be 3' (or more) by this time. I think I'll check on that record.

Topic List