Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Discs?

by dogdenii, January 3, 2005 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

Pretty simple questions. I've searched here and on other boards and on google and I can't seem to find anyone who has switched to Discs in the rear.

Thanks in advance.

Anything is possible - most common way to do it is to part out a donor car with rear discs. Popular models are Corolla GTS, Celicas, MR2s, Levins, etc. You could go with a new MR2 - but that would be quite costly. Wilwood can also make a custom system for you - but the cost to performance would be dismal.

Good Luck.

Anything is possible - most common way to do it is to part out a donor car with rear discs. Popular models are Corolla GTS, Celicas, MR2s, Levins, etc. You could go with a new MR2 - but that would be quite costly. Wilwood can also make a custom system for you - but the cost to performance would be dismal.

Good Luck.

Good information.

Is there a write-up using donor car parts anywhere?

Did the corolla come out in 99 with discs on any of the models?

Thanks for the reply.

I doubt any of the 99 models cam eout with rear discs.

My 97 did not (of course that is 7th gen), but 8th gen is not much more sophisticated, as is the current gen.

• 200 posts

What about a 2000 LE? Do I have discs or drums? All I know is that pads go up front and shoes in the rear.

Sounds like front disc brakes to me.

If I recall correctly it's 'disc pads', and 'drum shoes'.

Yup - tinto99 is correct.

Of the US bound 9th generation Corollas - only the XRS has front and rear disc brakes. All US 8th generation and non-XRS 9th generation Corollas are front disc and rear drums.

There are some "write-ups" on the net for doing a drum to disc conversion with different donor cars - but more are not 100% complete. Lots of people do the conversion but retain the OEM master cylinder. Normally, you'd want to swap for the master cylinder in the donor car or play around with the brake biasing - or you will get unpredictable results in emergency or heavy braking.

The brake booster and master cylinder from a V6 toyota truck looks to handle the bill just fine. Same mounting and the V6 is a dual diaphram Booster w/1" bore master. Are the rear assemblies on the 8th, 9th gen the same? I think the toughest part would be the caliper mount and the caliper postions.

As far as I know - the rear brakes are the same for 7th and 8th generations (1993-2002). The 9th generations (2003+) use a different hub assembly but could be made to fit with some work.

As far as I know - the rear brakes are the same for 7th and 8th generations (1993-2002). The 9th generations (2003+) use a different hub assembly but could be made to fit with some work.

Thanks for the information.

After I finish up the CB (still haven't figured out an asthetic place for the antenna) I'll be working on the rear disc brake swap.

I'm working on one right now using Celica parts... we'll see how it works out.

Guest childdamien

look about importing the entire rear end from the ae102 levin or treuno with the positives being, thats what should have been there....and you get the lsd, that should also be there...i kno a guy that can hook you up...pm me if your interested gonna be about $600 or so

Does anyone have the write up for this? I have a 99 Rolla and I'm interested in doing this. What donor car would be easiest for bolt on?

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering