Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

When To Change Serpentine Belt ?

By bhp02, December 24, 2013

its been about 7 yrs and 50 k miles... how long do they last ??

Varys from car to car - driving conditions. Some replace them every other year - some might never need to change them (don't drive enough or conditions are mild).

There is no set time limit or mileage - you just replace them when they look bad (lots of cracking, missing ribs, glazing, popped reinforcement threads, etc.) or if the belt has hardened from old age.

Mine - I get about 90K-100K miles out of them, which translates to about 4 years of driving for me. On the 2002 Corolla - I've never had any issues with the OEM Bando belt. On my previous Matrix XRS (1st gen) - I couldn't even get 10K-20K miles out of the OEM belt. Switch to Goodyear Gatorback aftermarket - been trouble free until that car got totaled (~70K on that Goodyear).

thanks fish...

happy new year...

because of your diy thread..I just cleaned the maf and the check engine light disappeared.. I never cleaned the maf yet in 12 yrs..

I couldn't find a gatorback when I needed to change mine out so I just got a gates belt since they are supposedly better than oem. So far so good but on mine the oem belts need to be changed every 60k miles(around 4yrs for me) thanks partly to the high heat in TX.

Quite true, driving conditions will heavily weigh on the replacement interval. Here in Northern VA - pretty mild winters, summers can get pretty hot. I usually get about 90K-100K - with my driving conditions.

Gates are pretty decent belts - they make a higher performance "Blue" belt - kevlar cordage and special abrasion resistant fabric covers - pretty sure those are Mitsubishi EVO OEM belts. Though the only ones I've seen part numbers for Corolla are the models without A/C.

The Goodyear one for 8th gen Corollas w/ A/C (#4060745 Gatoback Poly-V) - can be hard to find. I had to order the one for the old Matrix - didn't want to go though the hassle with the Corolla, so I got an OEM Bando one.

Thanks for the part#. Looked online for them and found the best price at rockauto for $24 shipped. Amazon and ebay have them too.

heres my 2 cents from the average guy...i canged belt and tensioner about 90k. not hard at all got a' gates'belt and quality tensior(i researched the tensioner,forgot what manufactuer). didnt make sense to just change the belt only , the tensioner was makeing the chirping noise,now quiet. Hardest part for me wasnt loosening the motor mount bolts and raiseing it up,but rather looping the belt around the pulleys. i was the 3 stooges. i like Larry.

I change mine about 80K miles.... have used Toyota OEM in the past... this time I used a Dayco from Autozone with 3-yr warranty, will see how it goes.... I change tensioner every other time.

Topic List