Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By autotech2612, December 20, 2013

My 2002 Corolla LE had a Logic Control Deck without CD from off factory line. Today, at the pick-and-pull, I found a '99 Corolla LE with the CD-only player intact. Pulled it out, no damage to the '99 in the process. $25

At the yards, it's more common for the LE to have the Logic Control Deck, all the way up to 2002. Not sure why.

Installed it in my 2002 and it works, no issues with loading and ejecting CDs, and sound is still great.

Here are two photos:

K_Watson

Cool, but with a tape deck you can use an adapter to play a cell phone or MP3 player/ipod through the car.

Yeah, I figured that, but I don't have an MP3 player or ipod.

Still don't know why a 2002 Corolla off the line would have a cassette player. Who listened to cassettes in 2002? Apparently they still do in Japan.

I've never used the tape deck in my 01. Always used the slave cd player under it. Recently got that cd receiver for $22 so I need to install it soon and take out the slave cd player so I can install that closed bin in it's place. Looking forward to the added storage space with that where items won't fall out like they do in the useless open storage bin that's under the slave cd player. Even with shelf liner in there items still slide out of it.

Now I know what you're talking about regarding the slave CD player (factory) that fits under the climate controls. I've only seen that set-up a few times. That explains why there are CD functions on the cassette deck: the slave CD player is a factory option down below. Odd set-up. And yes, the storage space there is plentiful. I just have to open that plastic door, and I keep forgetting it's there.

That's better than how Toyota had them originally at the dealer I got mine at. The radio was on the bottom and the cd player was on top. Ridiculous setup not to mention unsafe since it took your eyes off the road down near the ash tray to look at the radio so I had to pay Toyota $50 to swap them where the radio has been on top ever since.

A lot of people like Toyota's ergonomics, but it's not always quite perfect. I like having controls (especially the radio) at the top so I'm not taking my eyes off the road for more than a couple seconds. What I like about the Corolla's climate control system is the rotary knobs instead of buttons. I find it easier to memorize and it's nicer when you have gloves on.

Another thing: I like not having horn buttons; in an emergency, you don't have time to look for buttons.

Topic List