Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tire Weights

By Jonas Winslo December 9, 2013

I have a '01 that I bought used with the factory alloy wheels and the tires are not the originals. The tire balance weights are on the outside of the wheels.

Were the tire people just lazy or is there a reason why they can't be hidden on the inside? They detract from the smooth look of the polished aluminum. This works on steel wheels, even with wheel covers on them.

well, depends on the wheel. if there is a flange on it then weights may be put on the outside. if it is flange-less then there is no way to "hook" them on the outside. it depends on the tire shop as to what they use, really.

• 23 posts

Tires with much width or aspect ratios of 65 or lower will need to be balanced in two planes. Thus, you are likely to see weights on both the inner and outer surfaces of the wheels.

Taller tires, aspect ratios 70 and above, can also be balanced internally. Look into DynaBeads and CounterAct beads, as well as DIY balancing with Airsoft beads. I have DynaBeads in my motorcycle tires, Airsoft beads in the 255/85R16 truck tires I mounted at home, and as something of an experiment I put Airsoft beads in the 215/65R16 winter tires on my Crown Vic - even though the bead companies recommend against beads in aspect ratios of 65 and lower.

Winter and summer tires for my 2007 Corolla (currently at 239,000 miles) are 195/65R15 and are balanced in two planes with conventional weights.

The beads in the Crown Vic are OK, though not perfect. I may bump them from 3 oz. apiece to 4.5 oz. the next time I feel like breaking down tires. That's what I have in the light truck tires. The Vic's summer 225/60R16 tires are two plane balanced in the usual manner.

I have a '01 that I bought used with the factory alloy wheels...

The Corolla has OEM alloys? Mine has steelies and I have been looking to get alloys for it.

Topic List