Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Bull6791, October 23, 2013

I use throw away air filters the ones that get replaced when dirty. I was thinking about changing to the K&N washable reusable filter. Is it worth it. Does it save money in the long run and what are the benefits.

Thanks

I haven't even had it long enough for one cleaning, but so far it has worked well. Can't say if it has added power or not, at least nothing majorly noticeable. If it lasts more than 2-3 cleanings, it will end up saving me money on filters. It's an oil-less washable filter. aFe Air Filter

Hope this helps! default_unsure

If going on a newer car or an older car that you plan to keep for several years than yes it will save money but just don't over oil the filter or it will clog the MAF and trip the CEL. I've had mine for years without issue. No it doesn't improve performance on mine. Just a way to save some money and filter a little more efficiently than the oem filter.

Yup, don't do it for performance - especially with the stock airbox. Just do it to, not have to replace paper elements all the time, have one filter last pretty much the life of the car.

Some might argue that the oil gauge filters can let in more dirt than a paper element. That oil gauge filters can cause MAF sensor fouling. Though all possible - most of the issue comes down to improper tack oil application. Can't put too much or too little. You also have to "refresh" the filter with a little extra oil from time to time, as when the filter loads up with dirt, it will loose some of the tack oil abilities.

These gauze ones definitely need more "maintenance" than a traditional paper element. So for some owners, paper elements are just plain easier to deal with. Pop them in, check from time to time, when they get dirty - toss them and replace with a fresh one.

Fish

The washable filters seem like more work. They might save you money in the long run but definitely more work. I also do not like that it could possibly mess up you Maf sensor. I thought it would give more benefits.

Thanks bull6791

Hardly no work at all so it's not an issue and I'm very impatient so if it doesn't bother me doing it I know it wouldn't bother you. Takes no time to wash it or oil it. Most of the time is spent on letting it dry out after washing it. I place mine in front of a big house fan to speed up the process. I've never had a problem with the oil in all the years I've had mine. I actually had to replace a MAF before I even used the k&n filter but no problem afterward.

It's easy to apply oil to the filter without worry of spraying too much on it. Even if you did over spray you could dab excess oil off with paper towels ect. I've never had to respray oil on mine once the oil was originally applied either. I just inspect it every 25k miles then wash it and spray oil on it every 50k miles. I've done so twice now with no issue.

Loaded

Do you have 2 filters. When one is drying you put the other one in. How long do these filters last. When should you clean and oil them. How do you wash them. Also how much does one cost. Do you have K&N or a different brand.

Thanks bull6791

I have the k&n. You only need 1 filter as from start to finish recharging the filter only takes 2hrs tops, usually around 1hr with a large home fan to dry it out. They are warrantied to last 1 million miles and if you ever see anything wrong with it such as a tiny hole in the filter then k&n will replace it for free no hassles. Just wash it under the sink or with a water hose where the water is not spraying the filter hard. They cost around $60 the last time I checked. Well worth the price if keeping the car long term considering just 2 to 3 filter changes costs more than that.

Loaded

Thanks for info. Why does filter have to be oiled. I thought you just wash it.

You said 25k wash it and 50k oil it

Thanks bull6791

The oil is what traps the dirt. To wash the filter - use the K&N filter wash solution or use any detergent that can dissolve oil (laundry detergent or dishwashing detergent). Once it is perfectly dry - reapply the tack oil, let it soak in a bit - reinstall in the car.

Without the oil, the filter wouldn't be able to grab the fine dust particles. Some filters, like the aFe filter that jeff88 mentioned, do not require tack oil. They trap dirt via overlapping the pores in the filter material. Some use cotton gauze, some use a synthetic gauze, others use foam (oiled and dry varieties), some even use a very small mesh stainless steel screen material.

In the end - up to you. Paper filters are pretty straight forward - just drop in, replace when dirty. The aftermarket ones are little more involved - some swear that they help with engine efficiency, power, etc. - really depends on the car and if it had any other mods. I use the K&N filter because I've used them for years without issue. The oil they use is a lot easier to apply now then what it was before. Now you can use an aerosol oil spray and watch that the filter is evenly colored red. Used to be you applied oil from a squeeze bottle to each pleat, let it soak and then let it drip dry.

I did the same thing as 01loadedLE - use two filters, one in service, while other one is prepped to go. Kept it in a ziplock baggie to keep the oil from drying out once i got it prepped. When the other one got dirty - swapped them out and had all the time I needed to clean and reoil the other filter. You could do the same with just a paper filter. Use the paper filter while the K&N is being cleaned and reoiled.

Fish

At what milage do you wash the filter and at what milage do you oil it. K&N has 3 different filters on their website I have to find out which on would benefit me. How long do these filter last. The life of the car.

Since loaded told me they cost $60 do you think I really Need 2 filters or one will work

Thanks

They recommend to inspect them every 25k miles and if you're at less than 50k miles and part of the screen is no longer visible then you need to clean it. They say If you have no loss in mileage or performance and no part of the screen is covered up that k&n filters are to be cleaned every 50k miles. Again they last over 1 million miles so that will certainly be over the life of the car. I personally would just use 1 filter and choose a time to clean it when you're free to stay home for an hour or two.

Topic List