Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Swap00 Corolla

By De Daddi October 10, 2013

Can anyone tell me if I can use a 06 corolla s motor in a 00. My car has 228000 plus miles and it burns oil like its going out of style. I located a 06 motor but I think its electric throttle body whereas mine in cable. I'm getting the ecu and harness from the 06 as well. Can anyone give any input thanks much

You can just swap in the bottom end of the engine (block, pistons, crank, etc.) - that can mate up with your existing ECM, head, TB, intake and exhaust manifolds. That way, little to no modifications to the rest of your car and avoids the electrical nightmare (you'll be going from OBD-II 16bit ISO protocol to OBD-II 32bit CAN protocol ). You can swap in the whole engine - but that can get complicated fast. Not all the body functions will respond to the ECM - transaxle may not talk to it correctly (assuming automatic), body monitors for ABS, SRS, logic in HVAC and power door logic/windows may not be recognized by the new ECM.

The bottom end is what is causing you grief - sounds like it is stuck piston rings. Depending on costs and time and your consumption rate - you might be able to get away with a rebuild on the existing engine - toss the OEM piston and put in the revised pistons and rings that help reduce the likelyhood of stuck rings.

There are some posters on TN that were able to just replace the pistons and get oil reduction down to nil for less than $450.

Hey there thanks for replying. My car was auto but my tranny went down hill so I switch it to manual(which I always wanted ). I'm using the Celica gts 6 speed tranny. How ever I'm getting a cel. It's saying shift solenoid, safety neutral switch etc use the tranny is disconnected cause I'm using the automatic harness and ecu. The 06 comes with harness and ecu but I was thinking I would need the pedal to. But now u saying it may not work with the windows etc:(. Or I was just going to get it anyways and reuse my aluminum intake and throttle body and just see if I can locate just a manual harness because I have a manual ecu but it just won't plug up to my auto harness. It burns mad oil and its annoying. The 06 only got approx 40-60 thousand miles compair to mine at 228000 plus miles. It still pulls very nicely ( beaten 2 civics default_smile )just the oil issue and I think its fouling my plugs up no

Hard to say - I haven't heard of anyone successfully using a newer ECM to control the body stuff on an older car. Best case, they have to wiring in both ECMs - letting them control the aspects of the car that they were designed to run. Most just take the short block from the newer motor (bottom part of the engine) and move their existing ECM, wiring, TB, intake, exhaust, and cylinder heads over.

On the older 7th gen - swapping engines, even within the same OBD-I spec, they had issues with A/C not working because the logic needed to control it was not there.

You could rewire it up completely yourself or think about a standalone ECM. That is almost guaranteed to cause problems, but atleast you have the flexibility to tune the engine for mods.

People have successfully used a 3-speed auto ECM with a 5-speed manual transaxle. There was only slight electrical modifications needed to route the missing park/neutral switch. The 3-speed auto's solenoids were hydraulically controlled, not electrically controlled like the 4-speeds - hence why they require less modding to get them to work.

Still sounds like the older engine is plenty strong - just need to fix the oil consumption. If the oil consumption is around a quart per 1000 miles - might be more cost effective to do a rebuild. If you go to the expense of swapping in a motor, personally, I'd drop in a more powerful one - like the 2ZZ-GE from the 7th gen Celica GT-S, 9th gen Corolla XRS, or 1st gen Matrix XRS/Vibe GT. Amount of fabrication and electrical work is similar to swapping in a newer 9th gen motor. But now you get lift + more favorable results to most bolt on mods.

It uses a quart of oil every other day. I really wanted the 2zz ge motor but I understand that with my 8th gen its a pain in the butt to wire up. I was also looking at the jdm motor from a Celica. Mine was a 4 speed auto which is now a 6 speed manual. I just hate seeing that cel cause I can't pass inspection easily.

Yup, even be a pain even in a 9th gen as well - couple people have tried but were unsuccessful. If you can get your hands on a 3-speed auto ECM + do the resister trick, you'll take care of that CEL you are seeing.

If I get a Celica gt motor would that be a good swap? I see it red lines at 6800 rmp and goes to 150 mph

Motor is nicer - but those power gains are from the ECM tune and their unique intake/induction system and exhaust design. Using the ECM, intake, and exhaust from your existing car - will loose all those power advantages. It will rev higher, but will be air starved. Even in the Celica Gt - power drops of very quickly after the power peak. The extra revs just allows you to stay in the power band when you shift. The 5-speeds gearing is a better match to the 1ZZ-FED engine, the 6-speed you have now, doesn't make use of that engine powerband.

Did you mean their higher performance of 140HP or are you talking about top indicated speed? Their speedo runs up to an indicated 150MPH, but the only way to get a stock Celica GT up to that speed is to drop it from a plane. Actual top speed that were recorded with a stock Celica GT - about 125-127MPH. Celica GT-S with the 2ZZ-GE is not that much faster - 130-133MPH range. Stock Corollas are about 10MPH less than the Celica GT - about 115-117MPH before the steering gets stupid light on the front end.

I was planning on using the motor, ecu and harness from the Celica gt and bolt up my 6 speed gts tranny that I'm using now which I think has a gear ratio of 4.3 or 4.5 I think that makes u shift quickly but gets up to speed very fast. I presently have a cold air intake( aem), obx headers and magnaflow cat and piles straight back to the muffler. If I'm doing 80mph my rpm is 4000, if I go to 100mph it goes to 5000rpm. I think my car tops out at 110 or 120mph but I'm scared that if I go all the way it would over rev cause the next rpm range would be 6000 rpm which would be 120 mph. So I figured with the gt motor and ecu it would allow me to go more cause the tach says it goes to 150 mph.

Can't go by the tach or speedo - have to look at the power curve and how it is shaped. I could install a tach that ran up to 15K RPM and speedo run to 200 MPH, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can. In the case of the Celica - it is more marketing than anything else - they have to keep the "sportier" aspect of the brand going.

The Celica GT engine is setup to make more power in the middle to upper range. The powerband peak itself is only 400 RPM higher than the Corolla peak, shape is very similar. Also has a lightened internals to handle higher rev limit, but the valves will still float at high revs, so you really won't gain much with a Celica GT-motor swap.

In fact, you could tune your existing motor with a Camcon or go standalone like a Hydra and see 10-15WHP (ie, real power) advantage instead of the 15HP crank difference between them coupled with a much better torque curve.

As for your mods - the intake on the metal tubular intake manifold, even with the AEM intake, will starve the Celica GT motor at higher RPMs. Note that you have to account for induction "pulses" - how the engine breathes. That's why people are surprised that two very similar looking CAI can have vastly different performance on the same car. Engine doesn't really care about the filter - it is a function of tube length, tube diameter, and position of ancillary vacuum ports/openings. The idea is to time the induction pulses to help you fill the cylinders at high engine revs - otherwise, you could starve the engine of air. Look closely at the Celica GT induction system and you'll notice that it has a surge tank on it. That way it can keep up with the engine at higher revs.

OBX headers - if you want to mod the firewall on the Corolla - the Celica GT factory exhaust actually flows better than the aftermarket OBX. Magnaflow cat should be fine - but the difference between having the OEM cat and a straight pipe might only add up to 1 HP difference in the end - not much gain there. Straight pipe is OK - just to play around with total exhaust length. Just like induction pulses, you have exhaust scavenging effects that you can take advantage of. Bigger is not better here - just look at Lingenfelter exhaust on Camaros and Corvettes. They used two 1.75" mandrel pipes, but the outperform aftermarket Magnflow or Borla mendrel bent pipes that are 50% larger. The key is timing the exhaust pulses to the powerband - you can actually have an exhaust pulse "pull" the trailing pulses out of the exhaust, if you take advantage of scavenging.

I was not going to use my aluminum intake but use the plastic one from the 01 Celica motor from japan. So which would be the better way to go minus the 2zz-ge cause that requires a lot of time and $$$ and wiring of harness. The 1zz from the 01 Celica from Japan with ecu and harness with the plastic intake, or the electric throttle 06 corolla S motor with harness and ecu, or the 06 corolla S motor only, use the plastic intake that it comes with, just remove the electric throttle body and use a cable one like Wats on the 03-04 and just get a manual harness and plug up to the engine. Just so u know I have a Mr2 manual ecu that plugs up to my existing 4 speed auto harness, it plugs up fine but it just would not start. When its all plugged in the fan just spins

Got it - just remember, Depending on where you live in - JDM motors will automatically fail smog (ECM portion of the I/M 240 test). If are fortunate to live in an area that either does the tail pipe sniffer or just a visually inspection - then you are good to go.

As far as what is best - depends on what you are after. If you are looking at a swap to fix the oil consumption issue and have maximum reliability - then it would be the 2006 engine short block with your existing head, ECM, intake, exhaust. That would be almost a drop in swap + you get the revised pistons and revised camshaft (more midrange power). ECM side - options are using you existing one and stare at the constant CEL - get a manual ECM from an 8th gen - get a 3-speed auto from an 8th gen and do the resistor trick - or use the one that came with the motor, taking into account that somethings may not work like they originally did (some functions disabled, some getting signals from the wrong source, etc).

For the MR2 EC - you can get that to work, but you have to repin some of the connnections. I think there was a decent discussion on newcelica forums on that.

Well I'm looking for reliability plus performance, would like to turbo in the near future:). I'm in Nyc don't know if they do smog here. So u won't advise me to use the 06 intake and just swap out the throttle body for one that is cable operated like on the Mr2 or the same celica? Also I think I might have to do a head job on my head with 228350k miles I might need new valves and seals and probably a shaving cause presently I see oil on the back part of the motor under the exhaust from the head . I do have a ecm from a 8th generation just no harness. The only thing I'm worried about with using the harness and ecm from the 06 with my head is the fact that its program to read the electri throttle and that might throw the cel again, not sure:(.

About the Mr2 ecm you said to repin it how do I go about doing that ?

So u wouldn't go with the 01-02 Celica jdm motor harness and ecm?

The composite intake I.D. will still be much larger behind the cabled throttlebody - so any benefits from the shorter runner lengths and flow characteristics will be lost. Performance gain there is a wash - more of an aesthetics thing.

Shaving down the head on a 1ZZ-FE engine is not recommended. There isn't a whole lot of meat on the head to begin with - if just a small fraction is needed, probably safe. The factory service manual actually wants you to scrap the head if it is warped at all - replace instead of shaving it down.

Correct, the newer ECM is looking for additional sensors - so throwing that on the new build, especially with a cabled throttlebody, will trigger a CEL.

As far as emissions in NYC - I'm pretty sure they do safety and emissions - but it is the ECM scan type. They look at the I/M readiness monitors and see if they are ready or not. Also any CEL on the will be an automatic failure.

Repining the ECM is not for the faint of heart - lots of labor, lots of wiring tending. On the harness side - you are basically pushing the wires and sockets out of the harness and repositioning them in the appropriate order on the mating side. You'll need the wiring schematics and pinouts of the ECM - used to be online on the newcelica and MR2 forums, but it has been some time since I saw them last.

From a emissions and inspection standpoint - a Celica JDM engine and ECM is too risky (just to be clear, when you say JDM, you mean a motor shipped in from overseas from donor car over there - NOT a USDM Celica GT with a J-VIN - as that is a different engine (emissions and ECM wise)). To do all that work only to have it fail inspection would be catastrophic - burn up your time and money.

Sorry for the late reply. I think I'm gonna take ur advice and do a rebuild on my motor. I check a local shop and he charges 500 to do bearings, rings seals etc. e said 350 if I buy my own parts. I think I should change the piston so I saw a kit on eBay with all gaskets, new NPR pistons and rings, king bearings for like $200.00. I may also get a new lighter flywheel and a 6 puck ACT clutch, some arp head bolts and call it a day.(what you think?).

I really wanna go with the wiseco 82mm 11.1 pitons, daton sleeves, some rods, dual valve springs and titanium retainers, new valves, port and polish head etc but the $$$$$$ not flow as I which so I'll wait on that ,probably buy a different motor and make that a project:).

For now I'm just gonna go the cheaper way to get that oil from going in my exhaust. May even turbo and run btwn 6-10psi of boost cause don't know wat those NPR pistons can handle. And in the mean time see if I can locate a manual harness.

Topic List