Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Far Down Are Spark Plus

By Bull6791, September 30, 2013

Does anybody know how far down the spark plugs are in the well/ tubes. I wan to know in inches. I thought it was 6".

I know on older cars they were not down as far.

Any info would be great

Thanks.

I won't go in to measure, but the top of the spark plugs are about 4 inches below valve cover surface... Why are you asking?

Dom

I wanted to know for my own curiosity. But based off of what you are saying a 6" extension would be good and a 10" extension would be over kill when replacing spark plugs.

Also did you ever use a spark plug starter tool and was it helpful

I just use a 5.25" extension (usually called a 6" extension as it's 6" long, but only extends reach by 5.25") and a regular 5/8" spark plug socket which holds the spark plug so it can be pulled out... Hold the ratchet well centered and aligned over spark plug hole with your other hand.

K_Watson

I always recommend a 6 inch LOCKING extension for customers with OHC engines with spark plug tubes.

Why? Some spark plug sockets have rubber inserts or strong magnets and the grip on the plug can overcome the resistance of the detent ball on the end of regular extensions and leave your spark plug socket stuck to the plug at the bottom of the hole. Most needle-nose pliers are useless at that distance. It can be very frustrating when it happens.

Dom

So a 8" or 10" is over kill

Yes, but it would also work well.

Dom

How do you prevent cross threading. I aways heard start the plug with just the extension with socket on end. Once plug is in and you are sure plug is not cross threaded the use ratchet. Is this true.

Thanks for info

That's what I always do... It's pretty darn easy.

If you have an air compressor, blow air in spark plug tube after loosening spark plug a couple turns.

Dom

Do you use a torque wrench to tighten spark plugs or follow instructions on box.

Follow the directions on the box - most torque wrenches don't resolve accurately at lower torque settings.

I second dom's recommendation to blow out the plug wells - prevent debris from falling in, just look in there first - if oil is pooled in the well, will make for quite a mess if you blow it out with compressed air. If you don't have an easy compressed air source (canned air is not strong enough) - then just skip that step.

I also like the locking extension. I've had the socket pull from the extension a number of times in the past - usually end up fishing for the socket end with a longer extension and from a number of iterations, eventually pull the socket out. Got into the habit of checking on the rubber bit inside the sparkplug socket and replacing it when it gets degraded to that point.

Doesn't toyota have a tool for changing spark plugs.

Yes, they have a SST for sparkplug removal. But it looks exactly like the one you can get at retail stores - nothing fancy. Socket wrench + extension + sparkplug socket.

OEM SST is 09045-38162 - cost about $25 just for the socket!. Looks just like the ones you get in a tool kit for a fraction of the cost. I think I paid $25 for the 30 piece socket set that comes with the plug socket.

Least you can get at these plugs - just looks at the ones in the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ - service manual states you have to "lift" the engine to get enough clearance to change the plugs.

Topic List