Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Battery Instillation Question

By Bull6791, September 19, 2013

I know that you disconnect the negative first then the positive terminal.

But here is my question: I read two ways to connect fist way is hold down clamp fist then positive terminal. Second way is positive then negative and hold down last. Which way is right.

This is for connecting a battery thanks

Doesn't really matter as long as you are careful.

Usually best to install the hold down first, just in-case there is a size/fitment issue. Also, if you connected the terminals first - there is a chance that you could accidentally touch the positive side (drop the wrench) - since most metal bits there are considered chassis grounds - you'll get a nice arc.

I have a portable jump starter. Now when changing your car battery can you hook this up to your car so when battery is removed you do not lose radio stations and have to reprogram them.

If you can do this where do and how do you hook up jump starter. I thought it was at car outlet just a guess let me know. Thanks

You can carefully hook up portable jump starter which is essentialy a lead-acid battery (or another battery with booster cables) in parallel to battery connectors, close to where they connect to battery terminals.

I wouldn't worry about trying to preserve the radio presets / clock - those are easy enough to setup.

Trying to maintain power while replacing a battery is a recipe for disaster. Unless the car is already wired for parallel batteries, not worth the additional headaches. Not just the power - you'll have to worry about ground loops, possible electrical noise (EMF/EMI), impedance and capacitance effects, etc.

If you have the car immobilizer (chipped keys) - call the dealership for their take on it. Some can withstand a short power disconnect - others cannot.

The ones on my Matrix and Rav4 - no issues when I disconnect power, but they are also one generation newer. My 8th gen didn't have the chipped keys - so it didn't matter at all. A few members on the old 9thgencorolla forums noted that they had issues when they lost power.

Fish

Thanks for info. My 05 corolla has an engine immobilizer in it. In 2010 when I took battery out and put new battery In the car was fine. The car had no problems with the battery bringing out for the short period of time.

I did not know that if you have the immobilizer on the car and have the battery out of the car for a short time the car could have problems.

My mother's 07 Camry is the next car due for battery replacement. I do not know if the car has an immobilized but if it does I should call the dealer and ask the question you told me to ask to be on the safe side.

Now if you have an immobilizer and when replacing battery from the battery being out of car for short period of time if you did have a problem what would happen

Thanks

Doesn't hurt to ask. Likely - it will be like your 2005 Corolla, should not have an issue - but to be on the safe side, contact your dealership.

If there was an issue with an immobilizer when the battery died - depends on the system. Some cases, you'll have to reprogram the remotes (some can be programmed by the owner - others have to be programmed by the dealership with a special desktop tool) - worst cases, you'll have to have the car towed to the dealership.

I don't think this will happen with the newer Toyotas - but if they follow what the rest industry is doing (all electronic, keyless security fobs), that might eventually be the case.

Topic List