Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Interior Fan Not Blowing Very Strong

by candn, August 7, 2013

I can't say exactly when it started but the interior fan is not blowing a lot of air. Switch works fine. All speeds can be selected. The airflow is just much lower than it used to be. We noticed it first on one of our rare days when we need air cond. We needed it on max the whole time and it could not keep up. about 80 degrees f. 04 CE

Have you washed or replaced your cabin air filter?

This forum is great. Your response dom was right on. I didn't even know i had a cabin filter. I found it behind the glovebox. It was full of insects and leaves. I blew it clean with my compressor and voila i have better air volume now.

Thankyou dom.

This forum is great. Your response dom was right on. I didn't even know i had a cabin filter. I found it behind the glovebox. It was full of insects and leaves. I blew it clean with my compressor and voila i have better air volume now.

Thankyou dom.

If it was that bad, consider replacing the filter. Some stuff doesn't blow out.

It can actually be washed a few times, if it's not rotted out by nasty stuff sitting in it for too long... Rinse it out under warm running water. Slosh it around with detergent and water in the sink. You can use a small paint brush under running water to get the bugs out. Rinse out and let dry.

It can actually be washed a few times, if it's not rotted out by nasty stuff sitting in it for too long... Rinse it out under warm running water. Slosh it around with detergent and water in the sink. You can use a small paint brush under running water to get the bugs out. Rinse out and let dry.

The Toyota brand cabin filters I've seen are made of high quality paper. Wouldn't they dissolve in water?

I vacuum mine with a crevice tool between the pleats at 15K and change at 30K.

Some are more like a paper based while others are more fiber/cloth based. Still Toyota branded - but from a different model.

You can still wash a paper element, though it is hit or miss, to get all the dirt out - if it will make it out in one piece. Fiber/cloth ones can hold up to gentle washing or soaking. In either case - make sure the filter is 100% dry before you reinstall it. I've see a few cases where a significant amount of mold and mildew started to grow on the filter elements (more common on the paper ones). If it is the carbon activated types, have to wash those very gently as they cannot stand up to a brisk wash without losing a significant amount of the activated charcoal "pellets" in the pleats.

My rule of thumb - if it is paper - just toss it. If it is fiber/cloth based - I wash it no more than two times - then toss it. We have allergies - so I check the cabin air filter pretty regularly. If it looks suspect - I toss it, replacement filter is way cheaper than making my family uncomfortable.

Topic List