Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Spark Plugs

by Rolland, November 26, 2012

• 33 posts

I just changed the spark plugs and there were some motor oil on the old plugs. Any thoughts what caused the oil on the old plugs?

Do you think it is caused by a worn valve cover gasket? If so, can you recommend a reliable aftermarket gasket?

Thanks,

1999 Corolla CE (US version)

120K miles

• 33 posts

The part you recommend includes grommets & spark plug tube seals. I did an online research and I couldn't find any information how to replace the grommets & spark plug tube seals.

Do I need to remove the spark plugs to replace the spark plug tube seals? Where is the grommets located? Just want to get a clear understanding before I remove the valve cover and replace the parts

Is there an aftermarket gasket sealant equivalent to Toyota gasket sealant Part No. 08829-00080? I prefer not to buy it from the stealership.

Thanks,

The spark plug tube seals are part of the valve cover gasket. No need to remove spark plugs. Grommets are for the bolts.

Toyota actually calls for seal packing # 08826–00080 or equivalent... Apply seal packing to 2 locations as shown in the illustration.

Seal packing # 08826-00080 has since been repkaced by # 00295-00103 (FIPG Oil Pan Black)

Equivalent: ThreeBond TB 1207B and Permatex® Ultra Black® Gasket Maker.

• 33 posts

When the new gasket is installed on the valve cover, would the new gasket move out of position if I turn over the valve cover and place it on the engine block? Do I need to put something on the new gasket to hold it in place on the valve cover?

The 8th gen gasket is more like an o-ring than your traditional gasket. When I replaced mine, I had no trouble with it shifting when I replaced the valvecover - the gasket sort of press fitted into place. If it does shift, it is early remedied with a slight adjustment (ie, shove the gasket over). The ones for the spark plug tubes - should have no issues getting those to stay on. Of course - this assumes that the replacement gasket is similar to the OEM one. (Felpro is a big OEM supplier, should be pretty close if not identical to the OEM one).

I haven't had any issues with the cover leaking by the two union points (where the timing chain cover meets the cylinder head) - just take a look at that area when you pull off the old gasket. If the material pulled off when you removed the old gasket - just give it a little dab of the Ultra Black Permatex FIPG (form in-place gasket) material. Exact same stuff as OEM - just a little cheaper.

Don't be tempted to put anything on the gasket - like RTV or similar. Might work for the older (flat-style) gaskets - but that will greatly affect how these newer gaskets seal. No worries on the compression of the gasket either - if I remember correctly, there is a stand-off on the head that prevents you from over-tightening the gasket. Just have to tighten it evenly to make sure it level as possible - to even the loading on the gasket and to ensure a good seal.

• 33 posts

I ordered my new gasket Dom recommended. The new valve gasket comes with 2 detached grommets. Do those 2 new grommets go between the 2 bolts (next to the spark plug holes) and top of the valve cover?

Thanks,

Topic List