ForumsCorollas2019-21ToyotasTech

Guest Dodoman

2001 Prizm Engine

Here is your Toyota car information!

Guest Dodoman

I'm trying to rebuild my 2001 Prizm because of the sticky oil ring. On the timing chain cover there is a marking N1ZZ-K85N. Is it the engine type? If so, what is the difference between N1ZZ-K85N and 1ZZ-FE engines?

That is just their part number - you'll see the same marking on the Corolla and the Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE engines. There are some posts out there that say it is an unknown engine or a special J-spec variant - none of it is true. My 2002 has the same number - just a regular Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE, made in the Canadian manufacturing plant.

No worries, the Chevy Prism's powertrain is mechanically identical to the Toyota Corolla. So you have a 1ZZ-FE engine with VVT-i, same as a Corolla. Just curious, what is your current oil consumption rate? How long did you have the car? Was it always consuming oil? Transaxle - 3-speed, 4-speed, 5-speed manual?

• Like 1
I'm trying to rebuild my 2001 Prizm because of the sticky oil ring. On the timing chain cover there is a marking N1ZZ-K85N. Is it the engine type? If so, what is the difference between N1ZZ-K85N and 1ZZ-FE engines?

How bad is it burning oil?

Guest Dodoman
That is just their part number - you'll see the same marking on the Corolla and the Matrix/Vibe 1ZZ-FE engines. There are some posts out there that say it is an unknown engine or a special J-spec variant - none of it is true. My 2002 has the same number - just a regular Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE, made in the Canadian manufacturing plant.

No worries, the Chevy Prism's powertrain is mechanically identical to the Toyota Corolla. So you have a 1ZZ-FE engine with VVT-i, same as a Corolla. Just curious, what is your current oil consumption rate? How long did you have the car? Was it always consuming oil? Transaxle - 3-speed, 4-speed, 5-speed manual?

I bought it last November for my son and It is a 3 speed automatic. By any chance, do you know any blog or website showing how to rebuild or re-ring corolla engine?

Thanks for your information.

OK, I think I saw your post on Toyotanation - 70K miles, 3-speed auto, a quart every 700-800 miles?

Yeah, the best DIY guide I've seen posted online was from Bennie on Toyotanation - lots of clear pics and good info. You won't find a step-by-step guide, unfortunately. Will need to get a factory service manual to get all the necessary torque figures and disassembly/assembly steps. Something like a Haynes or Chiltons manual can only take you so far. FSM can be expensive, but there a couple of cheap online copies you can purchase on EBay or similar, if you don't care where they came from or need the updates.