Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 Corolla Base O2 Sensor Ratchet Size?

By greg_jones, January 4, 2012 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

greg_jones

I need to know the size of the ratchet that should be used to tighten/loosen the nuts/screws of the front Oxygen sensor in my 1995 corolla base auto. I would appreciate if you post a link to a shopping website with the particular ratchet. I am changing the O2 sensor but can't seem to figure out the size of the ratchet required.

Also, the nuts seem to be stuck to the o2 sensor probably because it has never been opened before. What would be a good liquid to apply on the nuts to make them looser.

Thanks

I need to know the size of the ratchet that should be used to tighten/loosen the nuts/screws of the front Oxygen sensor in my 1995 corolla base auto. I would appreciate if you post a link to a shopping website with the particular ratchet. I am changing the O2 sensor but can't seem to figure out the size of the ratchet required.

Also, the nuts seem to be stuck to the o2 sensor probably because it has never been opened before. What would be a good liquid to apply on the nuts to make them looser.

Thanks

Not sure what size the nuts are that hold the O2 sensor on in a 95, but in the 98-02 I think it uses a 10 mm socket to loosen the nuts. May be a slightly different size for your vehicle, but if you have a normal socket/ratchet set you just try a few different socket sizes till one fits. Buy a Craftsmen set at Kmart or Sears because they are made in the USA and are cheaper than Snap On or Matco, or go to your local Autozone and ask to borrow a set through their "Loan-a-Tool" program. They'll charge a deposit on your credit card, but you get it back and it's free to borrow after you return the set.

If the nuts appear to be stuck, you need to apply a liquid penetrate which will help to loosen the nuts by dissolving some of the rust. You can pick up a spray can of PB Blaster at your local autoparts store for $5-$7, or at some local hardware stores. There are tons of other brands out there too, but that is the most common and widely used I see. Spray it on and let it sit for a few hours at least. You can try and loosen the nuts some more, spray some more, then let sit a little bit again if they are really stuck. If all else fails, apply a little heat to the nuts with a mini blow torch, but make sure you don't have any leaking fuel in the engine compartment and you don't melt any plastic or anything else by mistake. Also, PB Blaster is flammable, so it will burn off, so don't inhale the fumes, wear a respirator such as a 3M mask with carbon filter that's rated for paint fumes and other types of fumes for $25 - $35 from your local hardware store. (or Amazon)

Hope this helps you DIY, good luck!

greg_jones

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I received the O2 sensor in the mail today and now heading towards autozone to buy the ratchet and PB blaster. I will let you know how this works out.

Thanks again!

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm