Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

V-Leds Indicators

By ever_green, August 21, 2011

ever_green

wondering if anyone ever tried these on their rolla? i just ordered 4 with 3-ohm resistance kit. front ones are switch backs, meaning they will be white with parking light on and amber in indicator mode. apparently they are supposed to be very bright too. ill post after pics when i get them installed.

Current headlights with incandescent bulbs:

LEDs use lot less power compared to the inefficient incandescent bulbs and they also emit more vivid colours. LEDs power on and off instantly too, which makes them safer. Life expectancy is also very high. I'm also replacing brake lights, dome light and reverse lights with LED. This should improve fuel economy a bit. Headlights are 55w philips xtreme visions.

wondering if anyone ever tried these on their rolla? i just ordered 4 with 3-ohm resistance kit. front ones are switch backs, meaning they will be white with parking light on and amber in indicator mode. apparently they are supposed to be very bright too. ill post after pics when i get them installed.

Current headlights with incandescent bulbs:

LEDs use lot less power compared to the inefficient incandescent bulbs and they also emit more vivid colours. LEDs power on and off instantly too, which makes them safer. Life expectancy is also very high. I'm also replacing brake lights, dome light and reverse lights with LED. This should improve fuel economy a bit. Headlights are 55w philips xtreme visions.

Curious to see and hear more after you have installed, just have normal incandescents at the moment. As for fuel economy, that's not going to make a difference, but if you put some HONDA stickers on, I hear that's good for a few more ponies.

ever_green

im doing this with all my cars, LEDs are the future lol. hehe i thought less power usage = less alternator working? total power usage will be 90w instead of 255w when i change all the bulbs to led except headlights.

ever_green

ok so today i received my hid kits. sorry i know i did not specify hid retrofit in the title.

this is not your average hid conversion where you install regular H4 HID in reflective housings! that will blind oncoming traffic and cause major glare! this kit is designed for reflector housing and is designed to minimize glare. So avoid use of h4 bi-xenons and yes you will lose your high beams, but i do not care since i don't use it.

the kit:

this is a D2R kit but it comes with h4 connectors:

ever_green

D2R hid bulb designed for reflector housing:

4300k colour temprature, pure white, no blue tint and brightest on the market. will look something like this (oem 4300k d2r on reflective acura headlights):

ever_green

wondering how these bulbs will fit in h4 housing? i ordered h4 -> D2R/D2S adapters with cutoff shields:

ever_green

i will post installation and wall shots once the adapters arrive. i'm also still waiting for the LEDs. one more note, avoid bulbs with anything above 4300k for reflective housings, because they will produce a nasty cyan/green tint and reduces output. plus they are illegal and annoy/blind oncoming traffic.

ballasts, wiring, fuse etc: $40

Philips Style D2R Bulbs: $10

H4 to D2S/R Adapters: $21

Total Costs: $71

Looks great - be interesting to see those wall shots - curious on how well that "pinstripe" mask and the resulting cutoff looks. You could retrofit the 2001-2002 Corolla lamp assemblies, where they went with two separate bulbs, instead of the single bi-element bulb in the 1998-2000 lamps. Though like you said, if you don't need to use high beams, no need to sweat about it.

Overall great buy! Was this pieced together yourself or from a kit online?

ever_green

i bought the parts separately. i got the kit from a local dealer who specializes in HID installation. He sells kits for cheap and his ballasts surprisingly brighter than oem ballasts. The only downside is they are plastic, so they feel a bit cheap. i bought the bulbs on ebay for 10$. you will also need a 9006 to h4 harness to connect the ballast to your H4 socket. I might also need relays even though i disabled DRL. if you want you can buy oem philips 4300k bulbs, but i have swapped all my cars hid bulbs with aftermarket bulbs and ballasts and they seem brighter.

The adapters were bought from ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/i...#ht_4548wt_1139

as for 2002 headlights, i think they require wiring right? i do not have wiring for separate high beams. although high beams will be missed, its worth the sacrifice.

Yeah, the 2001-2002 will require more wiring on your part. Good to see that you were able to piece that all together - killer price on the bulbs and ballasts.

ever_green

Yep, just waiting for the adapter to arrive. Unfortunately seller shipped with regular mail, should take a while. But I should get my LED parking and turn signals soon.

ever_green

So the led switchback indicators arrived. it took me about an hour or two to get them installed since there was some rewiring and resistor installation involved. here is the video of the result:

If you do NOT install resistors you will get this (that's bad):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zEM1pwMgnwE

so please install resistors, its easy and affordable. I also installed LED brake lights. they are pure red colour instaed of pink, brighter and come on instantly. this gives instant brake signal to drivers behind.

brake led during daylight:

brake led during night:

note that these photos do not show the brightness, merely the colour of the bulb. the first photo is overexposed. the colour is pure red & the second picture is underexposed to show colour.

ever_green

this is a comparison of incandecent vs led tail lights. right side is led. again colours are not true in this picture. left is pink and right is red in reality.

i did not install led reverse and third brake light because they do not emit enough light. instead i replaced with koito or ge nighthawk 20% 194 and 921 bulbs. both are good quality bulbs and made in japan.

ps. hid kit and retorfit items have arrived. will install tomorrow.

ever_green

So finished installing the hid. Osram D2R made in germany xenon bulb, generic 35w HID kit. no relay.

ever_green

ever_green

Nice! Good stuff there, like a quantum leap beyond stock lighting.

• 23 posts

I STRONGLY Suggest you join Candlepowerforums.com - not for flashlights which are the forum's primary purpose, but to go the the Transportation section, then the "Automotive Motorcycles Included" sub-forum, where you will learn a lot from true industry experts as well as ordinary lighting enthusiasts.

Among other things, you will learn why HID "kits" are not legal, why you should never change the type of light source in a lamp (besides the fact it's against federal law, and you'll learn why that is so), as in halogen to HID or incandescent to LED. You will learn how to do HID headlights correctly, but it's not cheap (the StarrHID headlights in my Crown Vic are low end at $650 sale price, it's easy to spend a couple of grand). You will learn about LED headlight options that are actually legal, as well as why almost all LED signals and tail lights are illegal and dangerous (but there's new stuff coming out as we speak).

Really, you can't put HID into halogen reflectors without altering the beam for the worse. It's more than just focal length. The HID light source is differently shaped than a filament light source.

You may also learn about simple and legal upgrades. My 2007 Corolla came with 9005 high beams and 9006 lows. Now it has 9011 highs and 9012 lows, using halogen HIR technology to put out more light with exactly the same power consumption.

You will learn which auxiliary lights are good an which ones are trash - and the truth is much different than advertising hype might lead you to believe.

Again, I strongly urge all drivers interested in better lighting to join that forum and learn.

ever_green

Please check the date of thread before posting. I have long since sold 2 corollas since I made this post. FYI I had a Casper shield installed when I made this retrofit to cut glare. I also used d2r bulbs specifically designed for reflector headlamps. Lexus Es snd acura tl of same day came with exact same setup.

Topic List