Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filters Taken Apart

By zcpro, July 14, 2011

Yup - pretty good resource when it first came out. The Toyota OEM one is a cool one to cut open, as the number of pleats that they stuff in there is extensive.

Only a couple of others have taken the time to post up that sort of information. There was another one out there done on smaller filters that are used on our cars and some motorcycles, but not as extensive as this one.

Manufacturers have also changed manufacturing techniques in that short amount of time as well - so don't take those photos to be gospel truth. Right now I'm trying to locate a replacement carbide cutter wheel for my oil filter can cutter. Once I find that, I'll post of the filters that I've used/run across. Add to the number of smaller studies already done so far.

Great fish keep us posted!

What I took from the article was to always use what the car engineers\manufacture use on their vehicles. In other words, "what the dealer installs"! default_smile

Option 1. Use Toyota OEM (Denso) filters

For my 1998 Corolla VE & 2003 Camry SE I use Denso 150-100 oil filters, found very economical at amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-150-1000-Oil-Filter/dp/B000C5UE18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=corolland-20&qid=1310665083&sr=8-1

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/catalog/

Option 2. Use a premium after market product if option 1 is not available.

Thanks for the links to the Denso filters! That is indeed an awesome price - might have to snag me a couple of those at that price.

On this topic of oil filters, I stopped using Fram when I bought my Corolla. I now use Wix and Purolator. If I find a good-enough deal on eBay, I'll buy an OEM Toyota.

However, O'Reilly auto parts is once again offering their oil change special: 5-quart jug of Havoline or Chevron conventional oil and a Microgard filter for $13.99.

I Googled "who makes Microgard" and several responders said Microgard is made by Purolater. One guy said he uses Microgard in his Tacoma and thinks it's a great deal.

Have any of you used this brand? Is it really manufactured by Purolator? If not, then which company? Inferior in quality?

Haven't used Microgard filters - but they have been made by WIX and Purolator before. Easiest way to tell is by the bypass valve and base plate - comparing two filters side by side - you should be able to figure out which manufacturer makes them. As for filtering efficiency - harder to tell without opening them up and doing some particle testing. But from what I've heard on the various forums (BITOG, etc.) - people seem to like Microgard branded filters.

I'll give Microgard a try, since that deal at O'Reilly is unbeatable. Thank you for your response and help.

Microgard is indeed made by Wix and their filters are the same except for having less media. I found that out after I recently tried the Microgard filter with that oil special for the first time and despite having the filter prefilled when I installed it the engine made a bad noise for a couple of seconds when I started it as if the filter were empty but it has not done that anymore and I've had no problems with it at 1,500 miles since. I plan to stay with Wix as I prefer more media. I found K&N filters too but after I researched them I found that they don't filter as good as the Wix.

Wix filters 95% of 20 micron sized particles while K&N only filters 93% of 20 micron sized particles. The 2% difference may initially not sound like much but when you consider 7-9gpm can flow through them then that 2% really adds up to a substantial difference real quick.

Topic List