Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By listoff, June 29, 2011

Hi all! 2003 LE automatic with 209,000 miles. :-) Still going!

Anyway, as the girl gets older, I notice that the hood rattles/chatters when I come to a stop. My idle is a little rough, but it smooths out with 89 octane. Still, I can tell there's a little slop in the hood and it still rattles a bit. It's slightly embarrassing at a stop light.

I've looked at the latch and I'm not seeing anything obvious for adjusting it to be tighter. Does anyone have suggestions? This is not a show car - so any work around would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

I'd double check that the hood hinges are on tight, right by the windshield/cowl area. Make sure those nuts are on there tight, not missing any.

Also, check the rubber "buttons" that push up on the hood after it latches. On my 8th gen, those deteriorated to the point where they don't even touch the bottom lip of the hood - you can actually push down on the hood and see it move further down, past the top edge of the fenders. It hasn't started rattling, but could be only be a matter of time.

Could also be something actually touching the bottom of the hood - transmitting the vibration from the engine.

I'd double check that the hood hinges are on tight, right by the windshield/cowl area. Make sure those nuts are on there tight, not missing any.

Also, check the rubber "buttons" that push up on the hood after it latches. On my 8th gen, those deteriorated to the point where they don't even touch the bottom lip of the hood - you can actually push down on the hood and see it move further down, past the top edge of the fenders. It hasn't started rattling, but could be only be a matter of time.

Could also be something actually touching the bottom of the hood - transmitting the vibration from the engine.

I have a 97 rolla that I fixed a bunged up hood myself and those bolts do back out, but that's the easy part.

Also, check the rubber "buttons" that push up on the hood after it latches
I get blank stares when I ask a parts guy for some because I didn't know what they were called, or possibly don't sell. I think over time they get hard enough that when you stress them they split.

^^^ Yeah, same with the parts guys at my local autoparts retailers. I ended up getting them at the dealership - they are called hood cushions or hood bumpers. Think I paid around $5? - cheaper than I thought.

Also, some enterprising DIYers have cut their own from poly sources, like skateboard wheels - cut down the ones in old struts (the bump stops) - poly bushings from sway bars (counter sunk the end and fitting a large washer to hold it down).

I don't know whats up, but I'm getting this today in the notifications:

This message may not have been sent by: corollandforums@gmail.com Learn more Report phishing

If you know anybody that administrates this site,you might want to tell them that using gmail as an autoresponder will require coding if Google forces them to change their mail password.And if they tell you they had problems using this domain, they need to edit their MX records.

When I had my 95, people used to walk by, point and laugh. The right engine mount took care of that. default_biggrin

I don't know whats up, but I'm getting this today in the notifications:

This message may not have been sent by: corollandforums@gmail.com Learn more Report phishing

If you know anybody that administrates this site,you might want to tell them that using gmail as an autoresponder will require coding if Google forces them to change their mail password.And if they tell you they had problems using this domain, they need to edit their MX records.

Yep - when I push down on the hood, I have 1/4" of play and I can make it clatter. If the repairs in another post of mine don't cost too much and cause me to sell the ol' girl, I'll try the hood bumpers from the parts counter.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Topic List