Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By xiaobao12, May 25, 2011

I think I might be confused but is it possible to do this with a stock, factory 2005 Corolla LE? I thought that keyless meant hands-free....

I got excited recently when my friend's 2010 Prius would just automatically unlock the doors as he approached the vehicle.

TIA.

Keyless extry systems generally entail a dedicated remote lock/unlock feature - ability to unlock/lock the car without the use of the physical key. The one you are thinking about are the step-up hands-free keyless entry or proximity based keyless entry sometimes called by their marketing names of "Smart Key System", "Intelligent or Advanced Key System", "Keyless Go", or similar. Some cars have them, but not all - the issue there is the radio emissions from many of those RF systems - some at power levels that can interfere with defibrillators, pacemakers, and some other RF devices.

Can you add such a system to a 2005 Corolla - Sure. Will it be expensive - Depends on your definition of expensive and who will be doing the electronic work. The base modules themselves don't cost much more than the standard keyless entry systems, the added ECM circuitry on these passive systems, one the other hand, are quite expensive. Used to be a $350 option on certain model Toyotas.

Some have been able to repurpose their existing keyless extry system with an add on module with some additional wiring. There are several aftermarket options - some use RFID keytags, others use a Bluetooth enabled phone as the "key". Costs vary wildly, anywhere from $200-$300 for the base module to easily into the thousands, depending on features. Sure it can be nice, but generally not as secure as some of the OEM setups - unless they have a code jumping feature or RSA (relay station attack) prevention algorithms. Bluetooth protocol, itself, is not very secure wireless communication and RFID tags can be cloned at a distance.

Keyless extry systems generally entail a dedicated remote lock/unlock feature - ability to unlock/lock the car without the use of the physical key. The one you are thinking about are the step-up hands-free keyless entry or proximity based keyless entry sometimes called by their marketing names of "Smart Key System", "Intelligent or Advanced Key System", "Keyless Go", or similar. Some cars have them, but not all - the issue there is the radio emissions from many of those RF systems - some at power levels that can interfere with defibrillators, pacemakers, and some other RF devices.

Can you add such a system to a 2005 Corolla - Sure. Will it be expensive - Depends on your definition of expensive and who will be doing the electronic work. The base modules themselves don't cost much more than the standard keyless entry systems, the added ECM circuitry on these passive systems, one the other hand, are quite expensive. Used to be a $350 option on certain model Toyotas.

Some have been able to repurpose their existing keyless extry system with an add on module with some additional wiring. There are several aftermarket options - some use RFID keytags, others use a Bluetooth enabled phone as the "key". Costs vary wildly, anywhere from $200-$300 for the base module to easily into the thousands, depending on features. Sure it can be nice, but generally not as secure as some of the OEM setups - unless they have a code jumping feature or RSA (relay station attack) prevention algorithms. Bluetooth protocol, itself, is not very secure wireless communication and RFID tags can be cloned at a distance.

Hey fish,

Thanks for the reply. It's clear now. I am not planning on spending extra money to add the hands-free feature but thank you for listing those options - great for future knowledge. However, it doesn't make sense to me that my car auto locks itself if the remote is not within the "bubble" for a few minutes. If that is the case, isn't it possible make it unlock when I approach the "bubble" as it senses the remote? Is there a way?

It is a power / range / communication issue on the chipped keys (cars with the immobilizers) - once you unlock the car, the receiver/transmitter inside the car is trying to ping on the RFID tag in the key - if it finds it, it is good to go (this is a very short range transmitter), if not - the auto-lock feature is controlled by the car's body logic ECM and runs off a timer, so it doesn't care if your remote is close to it or not at that point.

To make it unlock as you approach it - the system has to have some way to "poll" or communicate with the key at a distance - this is a non-trival task, as you don't want to poll too often (drains the battery), don't want to poll less frequently (car won't respond in a timely manner), and don't want to broadcast too far (picked up and intercepted by relay station attacks or monkey in the middle exploits).

It is a power / range / communication issue on the chipped keys (cars with the immobilizers) - once you unlock the car, the receiver/transmitter inside the car is trying to ping on the RFID tag in the key - if it finds it, it is good to go (this is a very short range transmitter), if not - the auto-lock feature is controlled by the car's body logic ECM and runs off a timer, so it doesn't care if your remote is close to it or not at that point.

To make it unlock as you approach it - the system has to have some way to "poll" or communicate with the key at a distance - this is a non-trival task, as you don't want to poll too often (drains the battery), don't want to poll less frequently (car won't respond in a timely manner), and don't want to broadcast too far (picked up and intercepted by relay station attacks or monkey in the middle exploits).

Hey Fish. Thanks for the reply. You always have the answers. BTW, you gave me some advice about replacing my headunit around Xmas - that was succesful!

Can I ask you another question? I currently have only one master chipped key (the spare got lost) and two remotes. I want to be prepared in case I happen to lose this one. Googling brought me Here. Search streetkeys.com if you want to see the post that was informative. My question is: can I just order the blank key here, have it cut at a locksmith and then reprogram it (there are instructions on the internet)?

Not familiar with that vendor for the key - but it looks right and is at a pretty good price. Programming the key will be a trick - there are lots of instructions online, but I've yet to find one that actually "works". You will have to program your VIN number to make the key work, as well make sure the FCC ID is compatible with your keyless entry system. I know that dealerships in my area will reprogram and cut the key for about $60, not much more than what a private locksmith will charge. Call around your area and see if anyone has experience with Toyota chipped keys.

I'd also be wary of any online site that requires you to send them your VIN number to find the right key - careful where you enter the VIN number, only the dealership should handle your VIN (car's history on file). Some sites are legitimate and use part of the VIN to find the model and series you need, others are less than scrupulous.

Nice i appriciate your Post and can you share some more benefits ?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)