Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Motor Change

by jetphyxr, March 26, 2011

Hello,

I found an '02 Corolla for sale that requires a motor change. Any advice, opinions, perhaps? Would I be opening a 55 gallon drum of worms instead of a can of worms? He's asking 2k for the car.

Thanks.

• 149 posts

What is wrong with the motor?

How many miles on the vehicle?

Are you sure the transmission is good?

Are you a mechanic?

How much time/money are you going to end up investing?

Do you need this car as a family car or is it a project?

Motor ran too low on oil I was told. 110K miles on it. Tranny is ok..it's a manual. Mechanic yes..very little experience with cars like these. I can get a low mileage motor for around $950 with a warranty. Family car. I have a '98 Corolla LE that just keeps on going strong. I changed plugs, wires, charcoal canister, and door handles. That's my experience with Corollas.

Thanks for replying.

ever_green

unless your trying to install the 2zz-ge (although im not sure it can be hooked up to a 5speed) there is no sense in getting a corolla that lacks its most vital part. in my opinion $2000 is not worth it. you can get a great condition 2000-2002 corolla for about $4000. i know thats double the price but its -10x the headache and maintaince costs.

$2000 is a little pricey, unless the rest of the car is in mint condition.

Depending on the extent of the damage, might be able to get away with a rebuilt instead of a swap. If you end up swapping, it is recommended to drop in a newer engine from the 9th gen Corollas - as they seem to less likely to experience any oil consumption issues that plagued some of the 8th gen Corollas/Prisms.

This is also assuming that the only issue is with the engine. Given that they admitted that the engine ran out of oil - likely they didn't maintain the car that well. An 8-9 year old car with 110K on the clock - might also be looking at replacing struts/maybe springs, replacing bushings for the sway bars, maybe new endlinks, tierod ends, etc. Lots of little maintenance items that make a small initial investment a pricey one.

If the car was only $1000 - then maybe I'd think about it. $2000 is a little too rich, in my opinion.

Thanks. I went and looked at it. It's a clean CE w/A/C. The body is straight and very clean. I did learn the motor "knocks". So if the price was 1K I would jump. I've changed out old V-8's before and it really doesn't like it would be too bad of a deal. I'll let you know if he's negot. on price.

$2000 is a little pricey, unless the rest of the car is in mint condition.

Depending on the extent of the damage, might be able to get away with a rebuilt instead of a swap. If you end up swapping, it is recommended to drop in a newer engine from the 9th gen Corollas - as they seem to less likely to experience any oil consumption issues that plagued some of the 8th gen Corollas/Prisms.

This is also assuming that the only issue is with the engine. Given that they admitted that the engine ran out of oil - likely they didn't maintain the car that well. An 8-9 year old car with 110K on the clock - might also be looking at replacing struts/maybe springs, replacing bushings for the sway bars, maybe new endlinks, tierod ends, etc. Lots of little maintenance items that make a small initial investment a pricey one.

If the car was only $1000 - then maybe I'd think about it. $2000 is a little too rich, in my opinion.

ever_green

there is lots of wiring involved with these generation corollas. i wouldn't recommend it this at all.

Thanks. The seller decided my offer of $1K was too low. He said he could easily get more. No problem for me...I'll continue shopping.

there is lots of wiring involved with these generation corollas. i wouldn't recommend it this at all.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)