Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By dpsilver, March 20, 2011 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

i have no idea where to put this topic so forgive me if its in the wrong place

i'm considering the possibility of having a rwd corolla but changing my fwd corolla by using the awd transaxle and disabling the front wheel drive part (physically) i want to kno if this has a slight possibly of happening, my corolla model is ae110 xe model

Already posted to your original query here: https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23865-monstrous-mod-ideas/page__view__findpost__p__167589

As for it being possible - anything is possible with enough time and resources (money and lots of it). Might sound plausible in theory or on paper - but there is a fair amount of fabrication that is involved. Not as easy as adding the AWD bits from a previous generation and disconnecting the front driveshafts. You'll also have to strengthen the rear portion of the chassis to handle the weight shift and torsion from the rear wheels. Rod Millen's group took the Celica GT-4 running gear (2.0L turbocharged AWD) and stuffed it into a 7th generation Celica (1.8L N/A FWD) - to the tune of $400K, most in money was pumped into future development work, but it is a non-trivial amount of money. Fensport did a nearly similar swap, but into a Corolla body - theirs was in the $40K-$50K range. For a good shop to replicate that for a one-off - might be $20K-$30K easily. Might be easier and cheaper to take a RWD platform tube chassis and drop a Corolla body ontop of that.

ever_green

i dont think a rear wheel corolla is a good idea with over 60 percent of the weight being on the front.

i dont think a rear wheel corolla is a good idea with over 60 percent of the weight being on the front.

the only reason why 60% of the wieght is in the front is because the whole drive train is in the front

• 149 posts

Put the motor and drivetrain in the trunk ala VW Beetle

Put the motor and drivetrain in the trunk ala VW Beetle
Funny you mention that - that's how they do it to some FWD cars, like Honda CRX and Geo/Chevy Metros that I see from time to time on the strip. Moving the weight rearward helps will more favorable weight transfer on a hard launch. Though may not be as favorable or forgiving when you start to toss in quick transient stuff.

There used to be a shop that did FWD to RWD conversion for a number of people. Took typical clean, larger FWD cars, like an Oldsmobile Alero - gutted the car, welded up seams and cut out the front/rear subframes, then dropped the resulting reinforced unitbody "shell" on a modified Chevy S-10 pickup frame. Lots of fabrication and hours to get it there - typical rolling chassis with owner spec'd roll cage runs between $35K-$50K.

New thing now is stuffing older Ford Focus cars with Mustang running gear - very similar process as above. Basically Mustang on the bottom, Focus on top.

ever_green

light cars with less than 200 horses don't need to be rear wheel drive in my opinion. i saw a video on youtube of a civic si beating a genesis coupe around the track.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm