Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

My 98 Corolla Drinks Oil For Lunch

by Jglitch, February 24, 2011

Any suggestion on this? My engine seems to like oil a lot that it burns it. I have to fill it up about 500ml every week. Any suggestion on where it goes? No drips on the ground. Didn't see anything on the coolant. Need feedback.

Thanks.

Search the web. This is a common problem for the 98-02 Corolla/Prizm.

Any suggestion on this? My engine seems to like oil a lot that it burns it. I have to fill it up about 500ml every week. Any suggestion on where it goes? No drips on the ground. Didn't see anything on the coolant. Need feedback.

Thanks.

Which transaxle do you have - the 3-speed auto, 4-speed auto, or 5-speed standard? Something that has been happening over time, or suddenly started? Driving conditions - mostly city, mostly highway, mixed?

Atleast you are checking weekly, which is a lot better than other owners in a similar situation. As mentioned by dshadle1 - you are not alone, there are a number of owners out there that also are seeing a considerable amount of oil consumption. The cause varies in each case - but mainly it split into two camps - one has bad valve seals, the other bad rings. Some cases it is just a matter of poor maintenance, clogged PCV valve, overly extended oil change intervals, poor oil quality / poor filtration. Other cases, the car just suddenly starts to consume oil. Tends to affect the early 8th gen Corollas, those some later ones have seen it as well. Some owners of the early 8th gen Corollas never seen any oil consumption at all - so it is really a hit or miss issue.

If the consumption is not too bad, sometimes you can slow or even stop consumption by switching to a high mileage motor oil. I would resist the temptation to run a heavier viscosity instead of the recommended 5w-30 - thicker oil will be harder to burn off, but just covers up the issue, will not fix it - many times will eventually make it worse.

The thing to do is to start tracking exactly how much you are consuming. Will also need to stay ontop of topping off the crankcase when needed. Don't let the oil level drop too far, or you greatly worsen this oil consumption issue. Many other owners have found that topping off works for them, and the engine will keep going for a considerable amount of time. They just found it less costly to carry a case of oil in the trunk, topping off when needed, then spend the money to rebuild the engine or look at purchasing a replacement car.

I had a 2001. From 50,000 - 100,000 miles, everything was fine - maybe drank a quart every oil change. At 130,000, it started to drink oil and developed a nasty clack. There were no oil drops under the car and I couldn't detect any oil burning from the exhaust, but I suddenly started going through a quart every 1,000 miles. Took it to my mechanic who checked and cleaned the vacuum lines and it didn't improve. When the mechanic told me it might be rings and he saw uneven compression across the cylinders, I sold it. :-( I hope your issue isn't the rings.

Mike

• 149 posts

I am quite sure the problem is the rings, the oil rings, not necessarily the compression rings. Lots of info on line re: ring soaks and additives. YMMV.

Topic List