Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fuel Gauge Reads High

Guest fiddler

The gas gauge in my new '05 Corolla reads "full" for the first 120-150 miles after a fill-up. When it reaches empty, it's really empty--it takes 12.9 gallons to fill it up (doesn't it have a 13 gallon tank?).

Has anyone else noticed this? I would prefer to have a bit more margin for error near the bottom of the tank, so as not to run out.

sounds like you need to take it to a dealer for adjustment...I find mine stays 'full' for only maybe 50 miles. At the bottom end, I seem to have about a gallon or so, I think two gallons from when the light first comes on.

you should definatley have leeway at the bottom of the gauge!

Dai_Shan

Ya generally there is about a 2-3 gallon extra at the end for your driving safety.

Aka...when i fillup when my light goes on (and gauge at/below E line) i fill to the top i can only put about 11gallons in. (i have heard simlar in other threads)

Chad_G_77

I just got an '05 Corolla S. I have been wondering how may miles I can get out of the tank after the fuel gauge gets close to E. My gauge drops off of "F" pretty slowly. I usually go 200-225 miles before it hits halfway on the fuel gauge. Then it drops down to "E" after about 350-380 miles depending on the type of driving I'm doing. So, once the light comes on, how much further can I go. And/or... how low does the gauge go? Does it go all the way over to the "E" or is the last line on the gauge the danger point?

I have a '04 CE and I estimated there are about 10-12 liters of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on. This means I can easily drive over 100km with the light on. That's a bit more than I'd like... especially since the gauge is mostly useless at that point. I usually resort to checking mileage to see how much further I can go.

I wish someone would invent an accurate fuel gauge :-( Perhaps not over its entire range but at least accurate near empty as that's where it matters most.

Guest Corollasroyce

my manual says my tank holds 50 liters, or 11 gallons....ive never driven my tank below 1/4 tank, so i have never seen a fuel light but ive never really put more than 30 liters in the tank either...

Royce, 50L is well over 13 gal (NOT 11; 11 gal is only about 42L).

My 97 has about 11 gal. Yours being an 05 and they are much higher end these days probably has a 13 gal tank.

I've easily gone about 50 miles after my light has turned on driving to Ontario from Québec and I didn't wanna fill up in La Belle Province (expensive).

They have big reservoirs.

Guest Toyota-san

The add'l "reserve" is not actually a reserve. Its to keep the fuel pump cool. The electric fuel pump is in the tank and the fuel cools it. Chrysler had a rash of early fuel pump failures so they recalibrated the gauges to read empty even though there was enough gas in the tanks for more driving.

I know because I owned two Intrepids and a Dakota.

I know, I meant 'reservoir' as in 'tank'. They're 'bigger' than what the gauge indicates, ie the gauge shows 'Empty' even though there's a couple gallons left.

I know that the 05 has a 50L gas tank, n when the gas light goes off, there is still 10L in the tank. I was at a gas station waiting to fill up the tank when the light went off, n I filled 40Ls at the pump b4 the pump stopped.

..when the gas light goes off...when the gas light went off...

Dragon, you mean when the light 'comes on', right?

Wow, I didn't know you can get 10L (almost 3 gal) after the light comes on, in other words 20% of a 50L tank.

My 97 is good for another 2 gals, about 50 miles hwy driving, after the light first comes on.

Guest Corollasroyce

Yeh that seems wierd to me that there would be 20% of the tank left when the light comes on...that would mean it came on when the tank read just below 1/4 tank either that or the OEM gague is terribly innaccurate.

..when the gas light goes off...when the gas light went off...

Dragon, you mean when the light 'comes on', right?

Wow, I didn't know you can get 10L (almost 3 gal) after the light comes on, in other words 20% of a 50L tank.

My 97 is good for another 2 gals, about 50 miles hwy driving, after the light first comes on.

Ya, right when the light goes off, there is still 10L in the tank.

N I also think that the fuel gauge is not very accurate, once it goes past the halfway mark, it starts falling faster. It tends to like to stay above 1/2way mark.

Topic List