Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Control Filter On 2004 Corolla

by bobaustin, January 8, 2011

I've seen a P1349 CEL a couple of times now and the Haynes book says to try and change the OCV filter. Does anyone know a way to change this filter without having to remove the alternator? And can the alternator be lifted out without having to remove the coolant reservoir? There doesn't seem to be much room in there. Thanks for any ideas.

I did it with the alternator in place and the coolant reservoir right where it is. Will be tight, but it is doable. A second set of hands, slimmer hands if they are available, would be helpful. Flex head socket wrench and/or wobble joints can also help out. Used some bent tipped hemostats to pull the filter out of the housing - could do the same thing with bent tipped needle nose pliers, just have to watch how much force you put on them. Toss a little rag under there before you remove the nut, as some oil will dribble out.

friendly_jacek

what is that filter if I may ask?

The oil control valve filter is a cylindrical metal screen filter located below the oil control valve (VVT-i) that helps prevents large debris/insoluables from potentially clogging the valve. Most of that should be captured by the main oil filter, but in case something gets dislodged before it circulates down to the filter assembly, this OCV filter is supposed to catch it.

Some engines are "dirtier" than others, and can quickly clog the filter, starving OCV of fresh oil and oil pressure. This can cause a malfunction in the VVT-i system, as it is controlled by oil pressure, the OCV controlled by the ECM to vary oil pressure accordingly.

Here is a link to pic of a clogged one:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/401898-p1349-vvt-system-malfunction-bank-1b-blocked-oil-control-valve-filter.html

The one on the Corolla looks a little different, but the end result is the same. This is not specific to Toyota, as other manufacturers have secondary, inline filters as well - Mazda has one that looks identical to the Toyota setup.

friendly_jacek

The oil control valve filter is a cylindrical metal screen filter located below the oil control valve (VVT-i) that helps prevents large debris/insoluables from potentially clogging the valve. Most of that should be captured by the main oil filter, but in case something gets dislodged before it circulates down to the filter assembly, this OCV filter is supposed to catch it.

Some engines are "dirtier" than others, and can quickly clog the filter, starving OCV of fresh oil and oil pressure. This can cause a malfunction in the VVT-i system, as it is controlled by oil pressure, the OCV controlled by the ECM to vary oil pressure accordingly.

Here is a link to pic of a clogged one:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/401898-p1349-vvt-system-malfunction-bank-1b-blocked-oil-control-valve-filter.html

The one on the Corolla looks a little different, but the end result is the same. This is not specific to Toyota, as other manufacturers have secondary, inline filters as well - Mazda has one that looks identical to the Toyota setup.

Now, I remember. I think you covered this filter in your excellent DIY maintenance guide. I actually mean to get to that this spring.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)