Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest SouthernBomber

My 1999 Corolla was having starter issues. Typical "click click" and no start. Sometimes it would take 1 try and others 7-10. Prior to me being able to replace the starter, my daughter was driving the vehicle on the highway when the car completely died. Prior to it shutting down, the gauges went nuts. When it died, it died hard. No power at all and smoke coming from under the hood.

I had it towed home and began looking around. Found the the starter had melted down visible by the chunks of melted material on the oil filter. Today I replaced the starter and charged the battery (which was completely dead). As soon as I put the leads on the battery, the starter began turning over without the key in the ignition. Tried it one more time to verify and got the same result.

Next thing I did was remove the ignition wire from the starter and then hooked up the battery. The starter did not try to turn over. Climbed into the vehicle and I had all power (lights, stereo, etc). As soon as I connected the ignition switch, the starter once again began turning over.

The question is, do I have a bad ignition switch or is the wiring to the starter shorted? If it's the wiring, I'm out of my league and will need to tow it to the shop. If it's the ignition switch, great, I can do that. But if I change the ignition switch and it doesn't work, then I'm out the cash for the switch and still have to tow it. Dilemmas dilemmas...

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks guys

Sounds like it well diagnoses down - it does look like it is down to the switch or possibly the main integration relay on the driver's side cabin of the car.

First thing I'd try and do is to buzz out the switch, see if it works like it should. There are 8 positions on the switch connector, if you are looking at the connector end itself with the locking tab on the top - upper right would be pin #1, lower left would be pin #8, pin numbers run right to left, top to bottom.

Switch set to LOCK = no continuity on any pins

Switch set to ACC = continuity on pins 2 and 3

Switch set to ON = continuity on pins 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7

Switch set to START = continuity on pins 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)