Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2008 1.4 Revs

By napsterdp, December 19, 2010

Hi guys

I got a 2008 corolla 1.4l. I just want to know if the cars engine wont be damaged if it runs over 4000rpm at 120km/h(75mp/h) as im in south africa. At about 140km/h it runs at +-4500rpm.

Now this is with me alone in the car. I got it recently and want to go on family trip and thus it will be full load in boot and in total 3 ppl in the car.

We have an older car which is a 4.0l and it runs about 2300rpm at 120km/h. Hence im asking the question if the 4500rpm wont be bad for the car.

Thnx guys.

The newer engines have the powerband shifted higher in RPMS. For that particular engine 1.4L 4ZZ-FE), the power band has the torque peaking at 4400RPM, max power at 6000RPM. Car fully loaded, that engine will be working pretty hard. You'll have to make the best of it by altering your shifting strategy and driving path. Some cases, you won't have a choice - 95-96HP only goes so far.

Here in the US, the typical 1ZZ-FE engine turns 3000RPM or more at typical highway speeds. Not to worry, as long as you keep an eye on motor oil levels and the car is in otherwise great running condition - you'll be fine.

thnx fishexpo the car has 35000km on at the moment and the engine is running beautifully, so i dnt think it will be a problem. my next car will definitely be a 1.6l min but my budget could only stretch this far. I think if I keep it under 4800rpm it should be fine.

Two things, Either it will blow up or it will take it like a champ. I rev high and run hard so dont worry. you will be fine.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)