Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla With An Automatic Transmission

By wgreathouse, December 7, 2010

2003 Corolla with an automatic transmission no reverse just drive no matter if it is in reverse or neutral

I can put it in Reverse and it goes forward when you hit the gas.

Thank you:blink:

• 149 posts

Sounds like a broken shifter cable.

Sounds like a broken shifter cable.

The only thing is that it will go into park and you have to ease up on the break peddle in order to get it to go into Park and the car is sitting on a 10% upgrade and you would think that when you let off the break the car would roll backwards but it goes forward. ????

Do you have neutral? Do you have all your forward gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd (D + O/D turned off), and O/D? Checked fluid levels? If transaxle has been recently serviced, did they use Toyota Type T-IV ATF or compatible? Did they do a drain and refill or did they flush the transaxle, if flush - do you know how they did it (from the dipstick, from the cooler lines, from the inlet pump?)

Do you have neutral? Do you have all your forward gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd (D + O/D turned off), and O/D? Checked fluid levels? If transaxle has been recently serviced, did they use Toyota Type T-IV ATF or compatible? Did they do a drain and refill or did they flush the transaxle, if flush - do you know how they did it (from the dipstick, from the cooler lines, from the inlet pump?)

It's got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, (D + O/D on and off there's no R or N at all. just every thing is pulling the car forward even with it in Neutral.

I unhooked the shift cable @ the trans. and put it in the first dent witch is R had the wife to ease off the break peddle and the car went forward into the back bumper of my truck.

Backed the car out of the driveway it was fine got to where I was going and parked it in a spot came out got in it went to back out and all it would do in any gear was go into drive I checked the fluid it was full just a tad over the full mark as the trans was cold at thee time that I checked it. I had a Transaxle put in last summer at a Toyota dealer and I know that the fluid is the right stuff @ 11.00 a quart from the Dealer it better be the right stuff

Ouch, sounds like the dealership charged you full MSRP for the oil - same deal with a coworker and his dealership, so I helped him out by buying them separately from the parts counter from the very same dealership - paid the "cash" pricing on a case of 12 quart bottles, that worked out to about $5/quart.

Anyway, so it just started with no warning, car seemingly working fine, then suddenly you have only forward gears and into park if you futz around with it.

Since you disconnected the shift cable at the transaxle and manually shifted into reverse and it still moved forward. Have you tried starting the car in neutral? Assuming that is doesn't want to start in neutral, sounds like it could be a faulty park/neutral position switch (car doesn't recognize that you switched gears), or that leverarm set screw has fallen off (arm doesn't spin the shaft it is mounted to). Could also be an electrical issue, as this transaxle is electronically controlled. Could be an issue with the solenoids inside (no power or stuck).

Ouch, sounds like the dealership charged you full MSRP for the oil - same deal with a coworker and his dealership, so I helped him out by buying them separately from the parts counter from the very same dealership - paid the "cash" pricing on a case of 12 quart bottles, that worked out to about $5/quart.

Anyway, so it just started with no warning, car seemingly working fine, then suddenly you have only forward gears and into park if you futz around with it.

Since you disconnected the shift cable at the transaxle and manually shifted into reverse and it still moved forward. Have you tried starting the car in neutral? Assuming that is doesn't want to start in neutral, sounds like it could be a faulty park/neutral position switch (car doesn't recognize that you switched gears), or that leverarm set screw has fallen off (arm doesn't spin the shaft it is mounted to). Could also be an electrical issue, as this transaxle is electronically controlled. Could be an issue with the solenoids inside (no power or stuck).

It will start in Neutral and in Park but not in R or any of the Drive gears.

Think god it's still covered the dealer gave me a 24/24 parts and labor on it so looks like he's paying for a change lol

That means the park/neutral position switch is working. Hmm, weird.

Good thing you have warranty covering that - as you've checked off most of the easy stuff to check out. Meaning it could be a fairly costly repair. Let us know what it turns out to be, sounds like the stuff on the outside of the transaxle is working fine, could be something internal causing this weird behavior or could be a bad ECM.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)