Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla Making Noise While Turning

Guest ven333

Hi All,

I am getting a grinding noise while making a turn (either forward or reverse direction) and its not making any sort of noise if I am going straight. Please suggest me the root cause.

Is there any problem with my transmission?

I bought this 1999 Toyota corolla(Model VE) a year back and now it has 87K miles on it.

Thanks in Advance,

Venkata

Hard to say for sure without listening to the car in person - but if the sound only happens when turning, likely you have a bad CV joint and/or a bad wheel bearing. Those generally manifest as a metallic clicking noise when turning, could also cause vibrations felt in the steering wheel when turning. Sometimes the noise is a constant groaning or sharp crackling noise. Groaning or chirping noises are usually associated with bad wheel bearings, but they should also make noise when rolling straight back and forth.

Will have to take a peek at the front end of the car. Easiest way is to jack the front end up and rotate each wheel by hand. See if they make any noises. Also do a visual inspection of the CV joint boots - if they are ripped or torn, leaking grease or otherwise look damaged - you have to have them replaced. A ripped boot can be removed, repacked with grease and a new boot put on, but once you get to the stage of a noisy CV joint, too late to save it. Usually better in the long run to replace the whole axle, get both joints - the one in the wheel and the one going to the transaxle.

Cannot completely rule out a possible transaxle problem, but probably very unlikely given the info you've posted. A bad axle/CV joint and/or bad wheel bearing fits the symptoms better.

I have an easy way of telling if u have a bad wheel bearing... saw a mechanic doing it once when i took my car to get the front wheels aligned.

With the front end jacked up try push each wheel at a time towards the engine and pull it towards urself. The guy i took my car to said i should not be able to move the tire other than up and down..

If i push or pull it and it does wiggle even if it is just a little bit that means u have a bad wheel bearing and should be replaced asap!!!.

While this might or might not be your particular case i just thought it might help u eliminate one posibility.!

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)