Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Toyota Corolla Xrs Mileage Life Expectancy

Guest TG2005

I recently purchased a 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS. I can't seem to find many XRS owners on this forum. Just curious if the XRS owners, or even somebody knowledgeable about different models, could share their experience with mileage. Regular corollas seem to routinely surpass 200K, up to 300K in some cases. What mileage life expectancy would be reasonable out of the XRS? It would just seem to reason the slightly higher performance engine would have a shorter life than a lower RPM engine. Any opinions or discussion would be great.

Thank you

It all depends on how you drive it and how you take care of it.

It doesnt really have much higher horsepower or RPM limit than a regular corolla (as far as engines go).

If you thrash it , it might not last 50,000 milies.

If you drive it "normaly " and take care of it ( regular oil changes and good maintenance) it could last over 200000 easily.

There were a few here, doesn't help that they only made it for two model years and was a slow seller. I used to have the 2003 Matrix XRS - same engine and powertrain, before it got totalled out from being rear-ended.

There have been a few 2003 Matrix XRS that have topped 300K miles. Like bent mentioned, all in the maintenance. Along with that Yamaha massaged engine, IMHO, the 2ZZ-GE is also built "tougher" than your standard fare 1ZZ-FE engine. Many of the earlier issues have been worked out with the Celica GT-S and even the Matrix XRS that came before the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS. On 9thgencorolla forum - there are some Corolla XRS owners with over 100K miles - so far, no issues, but they also tend to maintain their cars better than your typical owner.

Stick with quality motor oils, given the high RPM nature, I would not run anything but synthetic in the engine. Oil change interval would depend on your driving conditions. If in doubt, every 5000 miles would be a good starting place.

Stick with GL-4 gear oil only, there have been a number of cases with damaged transaxles in the Corolla XRS. Lot of people have been grind gears and whatnot on their cars, bearing going out, teeth being chipped on the gears. There is no clear consensus on what is going on, but it does seem that the people running GL-4 only gear oil are having less problems than the ones running GL-5 gear oils.

I personally would not run anything other than Redline MT-90 in the gearbox. Change the oil every 30K miles.

Also I noticed that the engine tends to be hard on plugs - even the OEM one started to show wear around the 60K mark. Eventually stuck with NGK Iridium IX plugs every 30K miles, seemed to work well for me.

On a side note - on my Matrix - I hit "lift" every single time I wind that engine out. Before it was totalled, it had 120K miles and didn't skip a beat. Compared to my 2002 Corolla (185K miles and still running tip top), that 2003 Matrix was rock solid.

The XRS' are pretty tough. Mine was at 55k when I totaled it. Actually totaled it today. Anywho, I hit lift all the time too, and I was fine. The car runs great. They're really faster than you'd think though, so be careful.

^^^ Ouch! Totalled the XRS, what happened man?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your other post.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)