Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Transmission Delay

By richwoot, October 28, 2010

I have a 2003 Corolla with an automatic transmission. The vehicle has approximately 90,000 miles and has to date had very little problems. When it is cold and I shift from Park to Drive it does not respond immediately. I can move it to Reverse and it works just fine. I can then put it back in Park and then back into Drive and it works fine. Once it starts going it seems to shift just fine. I was planning to have the fluid changed to see if that helps.

Assuming the fluid level is OK? Have you had any service to the transaxle - fluid exchanges before, or will this be the first time the ATF gets changed?

Fluid drain and refill at the minimum, a transaxle flush only if they use the inlet pump machine (one that requires the transaxle pan and internal filter assembly be removed).

The fluid was changed at the Toyota recommended interval at a Toyota Dealership. My son actually owns the vehicle and called me this morning to ask me what I thought it might be. I was the original owner but he has pretty much been the sole driver of the vehicle. Right now the plan is to take it to the dealership. The concerns were cost and what might be the problem.

The transaxle will follow a different shift strategy when the fluid is cold, so harsh shifting is normal in that case. Usually a fluid exchange will fix that right up. If that does not change the behavior, you could have a number of things happening here - some are very inexpensive to fix (sensors), to something in the transaxle itself.

Couple of questions:

- Have you tried to shift from part to L or 2? Does it act the same way as when you shift to D?

- Does the transaxle shift from P to D differently when the car is fully warmed up?

- Does shifting from P to R, then to D always "fix" the slow engagement?

If the fluid change does make a slight difference, it might take more than a couple of fluid exchanges before the transaxle reacts more directly. Also fluid choice is critical - this transaxle uses Toyota Type T-IV ATF, which didn't have too many aftermarket vendors. If fluid was used that was not compatible with Toyota Type T-IV ATF, that would cause serious degradation of the clutch bands inside the transaxle. Same applies the opposite way - a car requiring Toyota WS or Dexron II/III cannot use Type T-IV ATF - cannot be interchanged or mixed.

Wrong fluid type or infrequent fluid exchanges can also cause a significant amount of deposits and varnish to form inside the valvebody of the transaxle. The valvebody controls how quickly the transaxle shifts from gear to gear, and how long to how each gear. A clogged or faulty valvebody and associated shift solenoids seem the most likely issue in your case, assuming that fresh fluid doesn't fix the car.

Another common trouble area is the coolant temperature sensor, if the temperature reported by this sensor is incorrect, the ECM will believe the engine is much cooler than normal and run a different shift program - keeps transaxle from upshifting too soon, but generally doesn't affect take-up speed from position to position. Mentioned it as the sensor can be easily checked for operation. with a multimeter and a hot temperature bath.

The shifter assembly itself could be faulty. The shifter moves a cable to actuate a shifter arm on the outside of the transaxle, if the cable is too loose or too tight, could car the arm to select something that is not Drive. Again, this doesn't seem likely, but can be easily checked out.

But what could be happening, give the age and mileage, is that the motor mounts (torque dampeners) are worn out or damaged, causing the engine to rock back and forth much further than normal, which could cause binding in the drive line. Along those lines, slop in the drive axles can make the transmission seem "slow" to engage.

I asked some of the same questions this morning but since my son works nights I will not be able to answer them until later. Thanks for the help. I will get back to you.

Guest JSinGA

The dipstick in the 2003 I worked on this weekend said something like don't worry about changing the fluid EVER.

It doesn't have a code in it? It might be a shift solonoid.

If the fluid has never been changed, I agree with a filter and fluid change and see how it reacts.

Don't dog it and keep it away from a lot of different people. They will just tear your car up. Rememeber, if they aren't doing something to your car they can't make their boat payment!

I haven't looked at Lubeguard's site to see if they have an additive approved for the T-IV fluid. I have used Lubeguard products and they are not snake oil. At one time a bottle of Lubeguard was a manufactures approved fix for a Sabb transmission gear change squak. It was to add to Dextron III.

JS

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)