Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By FallingTree, October 15, 2010

Hi All,

So last night a tree fell on my 2006 Toyota Corolla S that has less than 50k on it. It managed to severely damage 3 quarter panels and my hood! It was a big tree. I have insurance and it was a city tree... so while it sucks I wasn't too worried getting it fixed up. That was until I drove it.

I hit some slick pavement, my tires spin, and CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. It only clunks when the tires are spinning like a burnout. When driving normally, at all speeds, there is no clunking. I pulled into a parking lot to test it out. Peeled out on the wet pavement and clunk clunk clunk. I think it would keep clunking if I did a long burnout. I've never noticed anything like this at all when my tires have spun before.

I have not had any problems with this car so I'm confident that it was caused by the huge weight of the tree smashing in to it, but I have no clue what this problem could be.

I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance company. I'm worried what they are going to say when I tell them something is mechanically damaged along with the body damage. Does anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong with it and what the insurance company may say?

Years ago I had an insurance company hose me on a car that was totaled and I don't want to have that happen again!

Any ideas or info would be appreciated! Thanks!

The specs

Year/model 2006/1811c

Mechanical & Performance

1.8L 4CYL DOHC 16V VVT-i SFI Engine

5 Speed Manual Transmission

Engine Immobilizer

Power Assisted Rack & Pinion Steering

MacPherson Strut Front Suspsension

Semi Independant Rear Suspension.

Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars

Power Front Disc and Rear Drum Brakes

Sounds like an extreme case of wheel hop. That could be caused by a number of items, most likely frame alignment (unitbody to engine subframe), bad mounts (could have been sheared off by the initial impact), or the car was not reassembled properly. There could be an off-chance that this is a suspension related issue as well (goes with the frame alignment). Assuming the the transaxle and wheel bearings/hub are fine, since the car drive OK otherwise.

Sounds like an extreme case of wheel hop. That could be caused by a number of items, most likely frame alignment (unitbody to engine subframe), bad mounts (could have been sheared off by the initial impact), or the car was not reassembled properly. There could be an off-chance that this is a suspension related issue as well (goes with the frame alignment). Assuming the the transaxle and wheel bearings/hub are fine, since the car drive OK otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. To an average Joe all of those things sound pretty bad and I have no clue how much the repair bills would be. Is there a possibility that my car could be totaled given that and all of the body work? Or is repairing, lets say the most likely frame alignment problem, relatively cheap?

Thanks again!

bump. Anyone?

bump. Anyone?

If an auto shop thinks insurance is involved, they really milk it. It's hard to say what the final cost would be due to all the factors involved (location, extent of damage, etc.).

Dan_H

It is possible for something as simple as a blown strut to allow the wheel to hop when spinning. I'd imagine a heavy object falling on the front of a car could kill a strut or two. Does the front of the car bounce more when going over speed bumps? Does it behave differently if the left or right side goes over a bump?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)