Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla To Replace Drive Belt Tensioner?

Guest clarinet

I went to the local dealer for maintenance of my 2005 Corolla. It's about 63000 miles, and I only asked for oil change. The dealer recommended to replace the drive belt tensioner (part number 16620-0w093, part price $187, and 2hr labor for $200), plus a related item maybe called tesioner assembly chain (part number 13540-0D010, and price $33, and 1 hr labor for $100). Plus, it also recommends the flush of the power drive fluid, brake fluid, and emission fluid. The reason they gave about replacing the tensioner is that something on it is leaking, and said it would be dangerous because the drive belt will become loose if it is not replaced. This is the second time they recommeneded to me, and the last time was I did the previous oil change. I opened the hood and didn't see anything abnormal, and the drive belt sounds fine to me. I am just wondering if it is necessary to change the tensioner or the dealer is just trying to rip me off. Is there anything that could be leaking from the tensioner? Plus, is it necessary to flush those fluids?

I went to the local dealer for maintenance of my 2005 Corolla. It's about 63000 miles, and I only asked for oil change. The dealer recommended to replace the drive belt tensioner (part number 16620-0w093, part price $187, and 2hr labor for $200), plus a related item maybe called tesioner assembly chain (part number 13540-0D010, and price $33, and 1 hr labor for $100). Plus, it also recommends the flush of the power drive fluid, brake fluid, and emission fluid. The reason they gave about replacing the tensioner is that something on it is leaking, and said it would be dangerous because the drive belt will become loose if it is not replaced. This is the second time they recommeneded to me, and the last time was I did the previous oil change. I opened the hood and didn't see anything abnormal, and the drive belt sounds fine to me. I am just wondering if it is necessary to change the tensioner or the dealer is just trying to rip me off. Is there anything that could be leaking from the tensioner? Plus, is it necessary to flush those fluids?

The tensioners are bad and a new part is available with a TSB. Unfortunately, not a recall. Mine was done on extended warranty.

Look around the top of the tensioner for a little cylinder with a black gasket. If you see grease leakage, your tensioner is bad. Symptom is a squealing belt.

Guest clarinet

I don't see grease around the black gasket, and no squealing noise from the belt. So I think the dealer made this up and tried to make some dishonety money. Thanks.

Power steering fluid and brake fluid, I can see replacing at this mileage. What WTH is emission fluid??? If a dealership tried to sell me that - I'd start running.

As for the serpentine belt tensioner, like most things, replace it when it actually starts giving you problems. If it comes time to replace the serpentine belt, I'd recommend running something other than the OEM Bando branded belt. Right now, I'm running Goodyear Gatorback belts, much quieter than OEM ones - very pleased with them so far.

The reference to emission fluid may mean transmission fluid. My local dealer does not make all of these recommendations, but I have been to other service shops such as tire dealers which make service recommendations based on how many miles on the car. I don't think they even inspect the parts, fluids, etc. prior to the recommendations. If you have not had a transmission fluid change or flush within the period specified in your owners manual, it would be a good idea to have that done--could be less expensive at another shop.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)