Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Ae110 Corolla Idling Issues

by JustExtreme, October 4, 2010

So my 1999 AE110 corolla with a 5AFE engine is acting up again, it idles poor and you hear a sucking sound like a vacuum leak near the idle air control valve. I took down the throttle body and cleaned the IACV and throttle body. I also tested the resistance of the IACV and it was within specification. But the sound comes from the IACV.......could the IACV still be faulty? Anyone had a similar experience? Please Help......

It is possible that the IACV is still faulty. Even if they were cleaned completely, sometimes the solenoid on the side cannot turn the valve, or the clearance between the valve and the housing is too great. Assuming that everything else has been ruled out and you are left with the IACV - then I'd start looking for a replacement. Assumed that you spray around the area to rule out an actual vacuum leak where the IACV meets the throttlebody and around the throttlebody itself?

On my Corolla, I don't notice any noises coming from the IAC on the throttlebody, but then again, I have a 1ZZ-FE. Maybe one of the 7th gen guys can chime in and see if they notice their IACV making a noise - as their 4AFE/7AFE should be mechanically very similar.

^^^Thanks for your reply! I haven't checked for leaks around the IACV and throttle body, will do that.........I do hear a sucking sound by the IACV during idle which causes the rpm to fluctuate.....

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)