Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Front End Noises

By the99contour, September 2, 2010

• 1,424 posts

From my Dad:

2002 Corolla has a rattling sound that comes from the driver side front whenever a bump is encountered. Crossing railroad tracks causes a constant rattle until smooth pavement is back. The sound seems to come from the driver side wheel area. With the window down it sounds like it is right at the wheel. With the widow up it sounds and feels like it is right under the driver floorboard. The brakes are worn and I am installing new rotors and pads. Please see if anyone else has seen this. Also the steering is smooth and the transmission shifts smoothly with no noticeable vibration in the transaxle.

Any Ideas?

First things off the top of my head:

- Worn or loose endlinks

- Worn or loose swaybar bracket

- Worn or loose pillowball upper strut mount (check the bolts on the top of the strut as well as the center strut bolt - need to pop off dust cover)

- Worn lower spring isolator (rubber cushion under spring)

- Loose strut bolts to front steering knuckle

- Worn lower ball-joint

Most of them, he should be able to check visually out once the wheel is off.

• 149 posts
From my Dad:

2002 Corolla has a rattling sound that comes from the driver side front whenever a bump is encountered. Crossing railroad tracks causes a constant rattle until smooth pavement is back. The sound seems to come from the driver side wheel area. With the window down it sounds like it is right at the wheel. With the widow up it sounds and feels like it is right under the driver floorboard. The brakes are worn and I am installing new rotors and pads. Please see if anyone else has seen this. Also the steering is smooth and the transmission shifts smoothly with no noticeable vibration in the transaxle.

Any Ideas?

Should be very easy to find the rattle.

- Worn or loose endlinks

- Worn or loose pillowball upper strut mount (check the bolts on the top of the strut as well as the center strut bolt - need to pop off dust cover)

- Worn lower ball-joint

fish is correct, check suspension, including wheel bearings also, but sounds like

a ball joint problem which can be catastrophic on the highway if a failure ever occurs.

• 149 posts
From my Dad:

Any Ideas?

You really didn't give us much info to go on here.... How many miles are on vehicle? Owned since new? Any work done on the car lately, any potholes hit?

- Worn or loose endlinks

- Worn lower ball-joint

fish is correct, check suspension, including wheel bearings also, but sounds like

a ball joint problem which can be catastrophic on the highway if a failure ever occurs.

It may not be that severe of a problem. i had one shock go out of 4 on my MR2 (McPherson struts all around). The car would go clunk over rough roads. When I pulled them all off for some coil-overs, it was one worn shock.

On the Corolla it should be an easy fix: replace front shocks. If this fixes the clunking, I'd replace the rear shocks soon afterward so that the suspension is balanced.

if it is a shock problem, you will get plenty of wornings.

But if a ball joint goes on the highway, good luck.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)