Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Noise When Turn On Air Conditioner On Corolla 2004

by bill_corolla, August 29, 2010

bill_corolla

Hello Everyone,

I have just owned a Toyata Corolla LE 2004 for 6 months. The problem in my car is every time I turn on A/C, I would hear a noise from the passenger side below cabin air filter area. It would come for 5-10 sec then gone for 10-20 sec back and forth. It is so annoyed. When I turn off the A/C, this noise is gone. I'm pretty sure that it is not about a drive belt. Anyone knows this problem, please help. I appreciate every comments. Thank you very much.

Bill

Did something drop past the cabin air filter? Maybe a some leaf debris or something like a small slip of paper fell into the blower assembly. Same thing happened to my Matrix some time ago (similar setup as the 9th gen Corolla). Replaced the cabin filter, but didn't notice some acorns that dropped down onto the blower - made from some unusual noises that came and went, until I finally dropped the assembly to pull the debris out.

bill_corolla

Thank you Fishexpo101. That may be the case. So you recommend to take out blower and clean it? Is it difficult to do?

One more thing that I feel a little bit strange on my corolla. There is nothing above the cabin air filter to link to A/C pipe or whatever to supply Air in the car. I wonder what is the purpose of just a blower and cabin air filer. What can these leaves get into my car. I'm sorry if it is a stupid question for experts like you guys. I am really a new novice that want to take care of my lovely car. Thank you in advance for every comments.

Bill

There are some screws that you need to get access to - not a difficult process, but the location makes it a little tough to get to. Might get lucky and be able to vacuum out the debris if you have a narrow enough vacuum attachment.

The air gets pulled into the system via the cowl area right at the base of the windshield. The chance of debris getting to the car is reduced, but not eliminated. More so if the car has been sitting for some time or under an area that sees lots of falling debris. The cabin air filter mainly protects the blower motor from ingesting larger chunks that could damage the plastic fins and in turn, helps filter out larger bits of debris from getting to the air outlet vents in the cabin, since the blower just moves "clean" air.

bill_corolla

There are some screws that you need to get access to - not a difficult process, but the location makes it a little tough to get to. Might get lucky and be able to vacuum out the debris if you have a narrow enough vacuum attachment.

The air gets pulled into the system via the cowl area right at the base of the windshield. The chance of debris getting to the car is reduced, but not eliminated. More so if the car has been sitting for some time or under an area that sees lots of falling debris. The cabin air filter mainly protects the blower motor from ingesting larger chunks that could damage the plastic fins and in turn, helps filter out larger bits of debris from getting to the air outlet vents in the cabin, since the blower just moves "clean" air.

Thank you very much again for your knowledge fishexpo101. I gonna try it this weekend. Hopefully, I can get rid of this annoy noise in a blower.

Bill

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)