Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Keyless Entry On 2007 Corolla

Guest Dan T

So I recently purchased a 2007 Corolla S, and I would like to get a keyless entry system put in. It has power door locks, but I believe the trunk is not powered so I am wondering on the best approach to getting a keyless entry system installed that also operates the trunk. I've heard of equipment you can buy that adds power to the trunk, such as this for $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-POWER-TRUNK-RELEASE-KIT-/310231032763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b35e3bb

If I get that and install it, all I would need to do is purchase an aftermarket keyless entry system, right? I don't have much experience splicing wires and whatnot so I may have to take it in and have a professional install it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good reliable keyless entry system for my car? I don't want an alarm, just keyless entry so I can easily (lazily) open my doors and trunk. I don't even know where to begin looking for something like this. Help or advice to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Dan

There are a few just keyless entry systems out there - depends on what your budget is for such a system. Also keep in mind there is a Toyota OEM keyless only setup - that might be worth considering, if you want the factory look/key fobs. Clifford, Viper, Delphi, Crime Guard, Python, etc. are some well know brands to check out.

As for the trunk - correct, you'll need a separate solenoid and cable setup to "open" the latch on the trunk. Be wary of the less expensive or unknown manufacturers of those solenoids, as I've run into some that were not strong enough (not enough torque) to actuate the latch mechanism, even with a longer lever arm.

For this sort of installation - I'd highly recommend going with a pro. Even if you feel savvy with electronics and wiring, there is always an off-chance that something could go awry - best case, you just splice the wire that you accidentally cut, worse case - intermittent electrical issues that coudl become a real nightmare.

I noticed that this post is around a month old, and you've probably made your decision on what you're going to do. I own both a matrix and corolla, and I'm pretty sure that the 2005 and newer corollas (9th gen, corolla and corolla matrixs) come standard with a keyless entry. Here's the post on matrixowners.com ... I've programed many remotes with this and I'm pretty sure this should work for your car. I don't think that you need any aftermarket keyless entry systems. Try this with a corolla/matrix remote:

* Remote programming

Start with drivers door open, unlocked, and no key in the ignition.

Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice within 5 seconds.

close and open the driver door twice within 40 seconds.

Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and remove it.

Close and open the driver door twice within 40 seconds.

Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and close the door.

Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON and back once and remove key

Locks should cycle once.

Within 40 seconds press the LOCK and UNLOCK switches on the transmitter switch simultaneously for 1.0 – 1.5 seconds.

Within 3 seconds after the previous operation, press either one of the switches for more than 1.0 seconds.

Within 3 seconds after the transmitter switch has been turned OFF, the LOCK–UNLOCK operation will be automatically performed once if the registration of the recognition code of the transmitter is completed correctly.

In case the LOCK–UNLOCK operation is performed twice, the registration of recognition code has failed.

Perform the registration procedure from the beginning once again.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)