Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Le Rusting From Inside Pannel Out

Guest jumpingjoeusa

I had purchased my 2003 Toyota Corolla new and had noticed rust marks in front of the rear wheels. It appears that the rusting was from the inside of the panel out. Big holes now on each side of the car. I always kept my clean and waxed to immaculate condition. Now this car was manufactured in Japan. Be careful as it it looks to have been built with poor quality metal or labor on rust proofing at the factory. Now I am just providing advertising for toyotas rusting since I am out everyday parking in highly visible areas for the public to see.

I had purchased my 2003 Toyota Corolla new and had noticed rust marks in front of the rear wheels. It appears that the rusting was from the inside of the panel out. Big holes now on each side of the car. I always kept my clean and waxed to immaculate condition. Now this car was manufactured in Japan. Be careful as it it looks to have been built with poor quality metal or labor on rust proofing at the factory. Now I am just providing advertising for toyotas rusting since I am out everyday parking in highly visible areas for the public to see.

What part of the country do you live in. Just curious if it's an area that uses lots of salt in winter.

I've seen a couple of Corolls out there with NO rustproofing on the fenders, as some are ordered that way. Usually, rustproofing goop is added portside, by the dealership. Without that tar-like coating, the metal's own electroplated corrosion inhibitor won't stand up long to the constant barrage of rock ships and road debris. That said, not all rustproofing materials are the same - some are a little thinner than others, some hold up better in certain areas. I get into the habit of washing the inside of the wheel wells on my cars, regardless of the rustproofing or not, plus I live in areas that salt in the wintertime.

I've seen a couple of Corolls out there with NO rustproofing on the fenders, as some are ordered that way. Usually, rustproofing goop is added portside, by the dealership. Without that tar-like coating, the metal's own electroplated corrosion inhibitor won't stand up long to the constant barrage of rock ships and road debris. That said, not all rustproofing materials are the same - some are a little thinner than others, some hold up better in certain areas. I get into the habit of washing the inside of the wheel wells on my cars, regardless of the rustproofing or not, plus I live in areas that salt in the wintertime.

I've moving from TX to MI in a few weeks and I was wondering what could I do the protect my car from the salt/slush that comes with living in the North??

Would you recommend any additional steps to protect/prevent/inhibit the formation and spread of rust on the car frame?

There are lots of coatings that can be added to the undercarriage to protect it against road debris and salt as well as provide some sound deadening properties as well. Keep in mind that this stuff also will add some weight to the car as well.

There are several chain stores that specialize in rustproofing. Most spray on a oily or waxy component and may or may not need to drill new holes in body panels (highly recommend to use places that use existing drainage holes). Costs very quite a bit - sometimes as low as $200-$300, others more. Some have lifetime warranties, some are limited. Usually depends on the car being rustproofed as well - older cars generally are not eligible for lifetime warranties.

If you prefer not to rustproof the car - just stay ontop of undercarriage washes. Make sure to get all that salt residue off the bottom of the car, treat deep scratches in the OEM plated surfaces with the appropriate chemicals.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)