Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Stuck Ignition Coil

Guest GameVoid

I was replacing my spark plugs today on my 2003 Corolla and all but 1 of the ignition coils was easy to remove. There was on that would not come out of the hole at all. It was stuck, but didn't feel like it was fused as it would come out a little bit, and you could rotate it a bit back and forth in the hole.

I didn't want to use too much force to remove it for fear of breaking it.

I am looking for advice on whether I should just go ahead and try to pry it out or should I take it to a service center and let them deal with it? At least I got 75% of my plugs replaced.

Thanks!

Sounds like there was some build up inside the sparkplug tube. They already fit in there pretty snug, doesn't take a whole lot to "jam" them in there. I'd try lightly rotating the coilpack while wiggling it side to side - as you are lifting it up. See if that helps shave off/breakup whatever deposit is jamming the coilpack in the tube bore. Should not have to pry on it with any tools - just use hand pressure. Try not to put too much sideloading on it - try and pull it straight up if possible. Coilpacks are fragile components, but are a lot tougher than they look.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)