Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Toyota Corolla Wiper Motor

By ChrisK, June 30, 2010

I've a 2002 Toyota Corolla (8.5 Gen) and I think my wiper motor is due for replacement.

I've taken it apart twice already, and both times I found the insulation on the wiper motor seal somehow became less viscous and flowed down into the worm gear, hindering motion. I'm sick and tired of doing that a third time (esp since connecting the motor to the mechanical arms is a challenge) so I'm thinking of replacing it. My wiper motor works normally in the FAST setting. For the LOW and INTERMITTENT setting, they only move if I lifted the wipers off the windscreen. Now they don't move even if lifted off the windscreen--hence the need for either self-repair (again) or replacement.

Now I bought my car second-hand, and the existing wiper motor is a Valeo wiper motor. I checked out "new/reman" wiper motors from O'Reily and I've to choose between a "AC Delco Type" and a "NipponDenso Type" wiper motor.

Is there a difference? The Delco wiper motor is a lot cheaper and I can't seem to see any immediate difference between the two.

Thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate it.

Delco one is OEM on the Prisms, so I would not be hesitant in tossing that part in a Corolla. Denso units have a reputation of holding up well, being rebuildable, etc. - but as you've seen - cost considerably more than other OEM replacement parts. IMO, either one of them would be superior to the Valeo unit that you have now.

Delco one is OEM on the Prisms, so I would not be hesitant in tossing that part in a Corolla. Denso units have a reputation of holding up well, being rebuildable, etc. - but as you've seen - cost considerably more than other OEM replacement parts. IMO, either one of them would be superior to the Valeo unit that you have now.

Okay, if thats the case I'll go ahead with the Delco unit.

My car already has 153,000 miles on it, and while I'm taking good care of it, I know that it may not last very much longer given its age. Thanks Fishexpo101!!

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)