Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest honzel

Hey all,

Ive got a 1999 Corolla with just shy of 225k miles. It has been a very faithful commuter until recently. Was having trouble with low rpm acceleration and stalling. Found oil in the sparkplug wells and replaced the valve cover and pcv valve and plugs. Wires looked clean. Put her all back together and ran fine for another month. Now im getting a very intermittent problem with low rpm power. When the engine warms up it will begin to jerk or thump at around 65-75 mph, but if you accelerate past to eighty it seems to go away. It also has a hard time getting past eighty...not that i drive faster than that too often... It also demonstrates the same problem under load at lower speeds, also mostly when warm. once it is really warmed up it seems to try and stall/ jerk at lower rpms like when accelerating out of a stop sign. i read another post on egr valves and it matches my problems exacty :

"It sounds as if your egr port plugs are clogged with carbon. By removing the plugs from the intake manifold (not easy) and cleaning out the plugged holes of carbon buildup and putting in new plugs will resolve this problem! This particular problem appears out of nowhere one day.It appears when you are shifting from a stand still at a light from first to second to third gear, under 2500 -3500 RPMs. The engine acts as if it's getting no gas/power at all and jerks a little like it's going to stall.Usually, letting off the gas and then feathering the gas returns it to normal operating condition, but it will repeat once in a while out of the blue."

However come to find out the 1999 doesnt come equipt with an egr valve, or at least thats what i read somewhere. then after reading another post on here it sounded like it was part of the VVT-i filter clogged. this seems like a likely cuprit as it has gone lengthy periods with out oil changes and could easily be clogged. come to find out again the 1999 isnt equipped with vvti either.

So today i added a full tank of 91 octane, 1 can of seafoam to the gas and another can of seafoam to the oil... took a 2 1/2 hour drive and it seemed nearly gone the first 30 min however it quickly came back and was jerking and stalling occasionally on the way back home. my next thought is to remove the fuel pump, replace the filter and test the pump? im open to suggestions...

So today i added a full tank of 91 octane, 1 can of seafoam to the gas and another can of seafoam to the oil... took a 2 1/2 hour drive and it seemed nearly gone the first 30 min however it quickly came back and was jerking and stalling occasionally on the way back home. my next thought is to remove the fuel pump, replace the filter and test the pump? im open to suggestions...

Just don't forget to change the oil ASAP.

Guest honzel

Doing that tomorrow. Any idea if the fuel pump is even a probable cause???

When you added some Seafoam to the crankcase - you didn't add a whole can of Seafoam to the crankcase, did you?

If yes, I would change out that oil ASAP. Seafoam in smaller amounts is a decent cleaner, but a little less than 4 quarts of oil diluted with an entire can of Seafoam (16 oz?) is trouble. Should use no more than 1.5 oz per quart of oil - roughly about a 1/3 of a can.

As for the behavior at speed - could be a number of things. If you have access to a data logger - see what the fuel trims are doing at the suspect engine loads and speeds. Unlikely that the fuel filter is clogged unless someone purposely added some contaminant. The fuel system is a returnless type - only filters what is needed and is self-cleaning. If you suspect the fuel pump - I'd run a flow test (see what the fuel pressures look like). Have to install a SST (Special Service Tool) into the fuel line running under the hood to be able to measure pressures.

Have you read the plugs? How do they look. Verified that you get good spark? Coils are not overheating?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)