Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2007 Wheel And Tire Modifications

Guest Ed Ochoa

I have a 2007 Corolla and want to put 17" Scion TC wheels and tires on it. I have seen a few Corolla with this setup. My question is that I want to put on 225 instead of 215 tires because they are the same 25" diameter and the stock 15" wheels and tires. This way the speedometer will be accurate and it may ride better.

Will the Scion 17" wheels and 225 sizes tires fit and not rub on my Corolla?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Ed

A 225 width tire will mount just fine on the 17x7 wheel from the Scion. If it will rub or not, will depend on your choice of tires, driving conditions, and suspension setup (especially if you will be entertaining a drop in the future). Generally speaking - a 225 width should not pose an issue, as there have been some 9th gen Corolla owners that have installed as wide as a 235 tire and not had much rubbing. Though the choice of tire and/or if you will be running a lowered suspension, will. Some 225 tires are actually "wider" than others. Check an online source like Tirerack or similar - note tread width on different makes of tires. I had a case where I had two 205/45-16 tires on my 8th gen Corolla. Identical wheels and suspension - one tire would rub and the other did not - checking actual tread width - the one making contact was a little less than 0.2" of an inch wider (5mm) at the tread - even though both were the same aspect ratio and "width".

Guest Ed Ochoa

A 225 width tire will mount just fine on the 17x7 wheel from the Scion. If it will rub or not, will depend on your choice of tires, driving conditions, and suspension setup (especially if you will be entertaining a drop in the future). Generally speaking - a 225 width should not pose an issue, as there have been some 9th gen Corolla owners that have installed as wide as a 235 tire and not had much rubbing. Though the choice of tire and/or if you will be running a lowered suspension, will. Some 225 tires are actually "wider" than others. Check an online source like Tirerack or similar - note tread width on different makes of tires. I had a case where I had two 205/45-16 tires on my 8th gen Corolla. Identical wheels and suspension - one tire would rub and the other did not - checking actual tread width - the one making contact was a little less than 0.2" of an inch wider (5mm) at the tread - even though both were the same aspect ratio and "width".

fishexpo101, Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I do not plan any suspension modifications at all because I want to keep the comfort and stance as original as possible. I just want to move away from the funky stock hub caps. I purchased a perfect set of 17" Scion wheels and want a little more rubber for a better ride and also want to keep the stock 25" diameter, that is why I was considering a 225 tire. Hopefully the care will handle a little bit better with the new wheels and tires.

Thanks again for taking the time and have a good week,

Ed

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)