Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Replacing Oxygen Sensors

By vurjt, June 4, 2010

I'm going to replace both oxygen sensors on my 2004 Corolla LE and I was wondering if I need to disconnect the battery while doing this. It's my understanding this resets the engine control module and that it should be done anytime you replace things like the O2 sensor etc...

I'm using the Bosch exact fit premium O2 sensors.

Always a good idea to pull the negative battery terminal - just make sure that you've taken the appropriate precautions if you have anti-theft (alarm, audio system, etc.) equipment in the car.

Also, highly recommend against using the Bosch sensors - go with OEM Denso O2 sensors. Spend a little more money, but have less headaches down the road. Bosch ones will still "fit", but many have experienced a sensor thresholding issue or impedance mismatch. In other words, the Bosch sensor does not output a signal within a range that the ECM finds acceptable. Most common complaint - re-occuring check engine light and/or poor fuel economy.

I verified this behavior myself, seeing as so many people have reported poor performance. Both two upstream sensors - Bosch Exact Fit and Denso OEM - btoh were plug and play. Bosch cost me $75, Denso cost me $135 - immediately had problems with the Bosch sensor, played about with it for several weeks before I gave up and replaced it with the Denso unit. The Denso sensor worked perfectly. Since the sensor will probably hold up for 90K+ miles (assuming it would act like the OEM Denso sensor), the difference in price is in the noise.

Thanks, Fish!

I've already purchased the Bosch Premimum and with 15% discount---the upstream was $93 at Advance Auto Parts. Do you think there are two different Bosch's? I mean "premium" versus "standard" ?

Always a good idea to pull the negative battery terminal - just make sure that you've taken the appropriate precautions if you have anti-theft (alarm, audio system, etc.) equipment in the car.

Also, highly recommend against using the Bosch sensors - go with OEM Denso O2 sensors. Spend a little more money, but have less headaches down the road. Bosch ones will still "fit", but many have experienced a sensor thresholding issue or impedance mismatch. In other words, the Bosch sensor does not output a signal within a range that the ECM finds acceptable. Most common complaint - re-occuring check engine light and/or poor fuel economy.

I verified this behavior myself, seeing as so many people have reported poor performance. Both two upstream sensors - Bosch Exact Fit and Denso OEM - btoh were plug and play. Bosch cost me $75, Denso cost me $135 - immediately had problems with the Bosch sensor, played about with it for several weeks before I gave up and replaced it with the Denso unit. The Denso sensor worked perfectly. Since the sensor will probably hold up for 90K+ miles (assuming it would act like the OEM Denso sensor), the difference in price is in the noise.

I would return it and get a Denso. They are only like $70 from amazon.com.

Definitely get the Denso sensors. Every time I got anything from Bosch, its been junk and nothing but headaches.

Thank you! Advance will let you return anything within 30 days for any reason....so I'm going to return the Bosch and get the Denso.

Thank you! Advance will let you return anything within 30 days for any reason....so I'm going to return the Bosch and get the Denso.
I would have advised getting the Denso as well. Same goes for alternator or distributor cap.

Stopped by Advance Auto Parts this afternoon. Not only did they take back the Bosch O2 Sensors, but they were able to order the Denso for me from their warehouse and on top of that they gave me the 15% discount I got when I purchased the Bosch's online. The manager of the store waited on me.....you'd be surprised what discounts you can get if you just politely ask.

Sweet deal! Definitely be happier with the Denso sensors.

Just for laughs, I thought I'd add that I've replaced both in my '03 LE with Bosch from Advance Auto and I haven't had one problem. But, that's just me. Apparently many others have had different experiences.

Yeah, some have problems with them, some do not. Sort of hit or miss, which makes me all the more leery to use them in the first place. If you just recently replaced them - see what happens when you put about 5K or 10K miles on them and see what they do to overall power and fuel economy.

Topic List