Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Corolla Gear Shift Light

Guest TimD

I have a 1998 Corolla and the back light on the shifter has gone out. Does anyone know how to get to this?

I have a 1998 Corolla and the back light on the shifter has gone out. Does anyone know how to get to this?

Painfully. I had to replace my bulb too, and me and my dad had to basically take out most of the middle console area to get to it. And then it was a lot of touch and feel to get the bulb in, since to really see it we'd have to tear apart more of the surrounding console.

Guest TimD

That is what I was afraid of since the light on my center console are out as well. I know it's not a fuse, the radio and clock still work. How deep into the console did you have to go?

That is what I was afraid of since the light on my center console are out as well. I know it's not a fuse, the radio and clock still work. How deep into the console did you have to go?

We had to take off the middle storage box, and the piece leading up to the shifter itself. I believe if you want to get to the bulb easier you can also take off the piece around the shifter. The bulb was actually fairly easy to find without it, you just can't visibly see it, and we had to install the bulb by feel.

Someone also posted this at here at fixya.com.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)