Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla 100K Tune-Up

Guest fred89

I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla (CE I think) with almost 100kon it. I bought it about 10 months ago for $3500. It is my first car and I haveno experience with cars AT ALL! When I got it, it wasn't in a bad shape (I guess default_biggrin). So far I changed:

• Oil => 94k and 97k
  • Air filter => 94k
  • Some kind of belt (I don'tknow what it was, but it cost $30 plus labor!!!) => 97k
  • Tires => 99k
  • Headlight and batteryholder (or something like that, it was for the state inspection) => 99k

I hope I can have this car for another 4-5 years and avoid expensive maintenance fees, so I think I have to take it somewhere for the 100k tune-up. Also, money is tight, so I don't want to take it to a dealer.

What should I do? Should I do a tune-up? Where should I takeit? Most importantly, how much is it gonna cost me (approximately)?

Again, please bear in mind that I don't know anything aboutcars, sorry default_sad

I'd appreciate any help…

You can get an idea of what service the manufacturer recommends at certain intervals from here:

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php

Just input year and mileage - it will pop up the recommended service.

Also, read up on this thread: https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23391-buying-05-corolla-s-what-to-look-for/page__view__findpost__p__163793

Much of that info would also apply to your Corolla generation - aside from the DBW throttle body.

From what you indicated that you have already done, I'd look into getting these done sooner than later:

- drain and refill the transaxle (takes about 4 quarts of Dexron II/III ATF) - do not "flush" it, can potentially cause more problems than good

- drain and refill with Toyota red coolant (not the premixed "pink" coolant) and use distilled water

- change brake fluid (DOT 3 or better), as it is a good time to inspect all the brakes

- change the powersteering fluid (can take regular PS steering fluid or Dexron II/III ATF - it is marked right on the filler cap), simple as siphoning out the old fluid and refilling with fresh

- time to change out the spark plugs, OEM plugs are fine wire iridium plugs - designed to run up to 120K miles, probably close enough that changing them will be in your favor

- replace the PCV valve, generally done during the oil change - you can wait until the next one - this is even more critical if the car is consuming any amount of oil

- clean the MAF sensor in the airbox (lots of DIY guides online and on this forum - search for past posts)

- clean the throttlebody (again, lots of DIY guides online and on this forum - search for past posts)

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)