Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Toyota Corolla, Shakes When In Idle

By pocketz06, May 19, 2010

i have a 2000 Toyota Corolla, automatic, with 79,900 miles

and whenever i come to a stop, or i'm in idle the car shakes and you can feel this shake everywhere.

in addition, the engine check light turned on,barely but shaking was happening before this, and i went to a mechanic he said

i need to get 2 sensors replaced could that fix the problem or can it be something else?

help!

p.s he wants to charge me 250,including labor. Is it reasonable?

i have a 2000 Toyota Corolla, automatic, with 79,900 miles

and whenever i come to a stop, or i'm in idle the car shakes and you can feel this shake everywhere.

in addition, the engine check light turned on,barely but shaking was happening before this, and i went to a mechanic he said

i need to get 2 sensors replaced could that fix the problem or can it be something else?

help!

It may be anywhere from a deal to a ripoff. Please post the codes here, there are a lot of people who might help. Sometimes mechanics read codes and replace when it could be wiring or a part cleaning.

Or not.

It may be anywhere from a deal to a ripoff. Please post the codes here, there are a lot of people who might help. Sometimes mechanics read codes and replace when it could be wiring or a part cleaning.

Or not.

ok so i went to get the codes, and the check engine light disappeared

so the guy plugged in the code reader and no codes showed.

kinda weird, but thanks for the reply! appreciate it!

Sounds like the original codes were erased. Shaking could come from a number of possible sources. Dirty MAF sensor, worn sparkplugs, dirty or gummed up throttle body, vacuum leak, clogged PCV valve, etc. When was the last time the car saw a tuneup?

Sounds like the original codes were erased. Shaking could come from a number of possible sources. Dirty MAF sensor, worn sparkplugs, dirty or gummed up throttle body, vacuum leak, clogged PCV valve, etc. When was the last time the car saw a tuneup?

I have never done a tune up before. And what does a Tune-up usually consist of?

Not too much to a tune up on Corollas, give your mileage, you haven't technically reached the mileage for a major tuneup. Vehicle age wise, I'd look into getting a comprehensive tuneup, just to rule out simple issues and keep the car in good running condition.

An example of a fairly comprehensive tune up can be found at this link (post on this forum):

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23391-buying-05-corolla-s-what-to-look-for/page__view__findpost__p__163793

You can also look this information up on the Toyota main website - under the owner's tab, scheduled maintenance.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)